stuffing Box Maintenance

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fourreins
Moderate User

stuffing Box Maintenance

Post by fourreins »

stuffing box 2.JPG
stuffing box 2.JPG (90.35 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
stuffing box 2.JPG
stuffing box 2.JPG (90.35 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
I have started to service my stuffing boxes on my 10.8 meter and have a couple of questions. On the one photo you will see a disconnected bonding wire. I originally thought it should be attached to the stuffing box nuts but the o ring connector on the wire is too small. Anyone have an idea where it should go?
Also, on the second photo you will notice that the bolts on the stuffing boxes don't have jam nuts on them. Each stuffing box is the same, meaning neither side had jam nuts on them. It would seem odd that both sides are missing the nuts so I am figuring on this style they don't have jam nuts??? Any help would be appreciated.
stuffing box.JPG
stuffing box.JPG (144.29 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: stuffing Box Maintenance

Post by Big D »

Aren't the outer flange holes threaded? if they are, the current nuts are acting as jam nuts I would think, but it wouldn't hurt to add secondary nuts to prevent the current ones from backing off. The only reason they would, would be due to vibration otherwise there should be minimal stress there.

If there is nothing else in the vicinity that the wire would hook up to like a thru-hull fitting or a terminal block, look for a tapped hole on the aft section of the shaft log. I don't see one in the pics, check the bottom.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

That is what I call reinforced hose!

Big D is correct -- looks like the outer piece is threaded, so the nuts are jam nuts. Small one goes next to the prop -- oh couldn't resist.....

What's in the hole? My bonding wire goes to a bronze shaft log, where the shaft actually exits the boat, but in your pics it looks like it is coming from there.

I would consider ditching that iron clamp and going with SS T-bolt clamps....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

P-Dogg wrote:.....I would consider ditching that iron clamp and going with SS T-bolt clamps....
+1
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year