Autopilot with Chain Steering?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Autopilot with Chain Steering?

Post by WayWeGo »

I am thinking about adding a Simrad autopilot to our F36 that has chain/cable steering. Does anyone else have a Simrad system on their F32 or F36 with mechanical steering, and if so, which actuator do you have?

The advice I am getting from my dealer is that I need to use a hydraulic linear drive. Hopefully there are other less expensive options. I already have a rate compass and my chartplotter/MFD supports a Simrad computer, thus my desire to go with one of their systems. I still need to add the autopilot computer (AC12 or AC42) along with the linear drive and rudder sensor. It looks like those parts alone are going to be around $3K and I have to install them. That is about what I was expecting a whole system would cost including installation.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
LandVF36
Moderate User

Re: Autopilot with Chain Steering?

Post by LandVF36 »

Our F36 has a chain driven auto-pilot. I disabled it years ago since on the upper Mississippi there is not much need. I will not be unwrapping the boat for another month, but when I'm board, I will information for you. 7 years ago, I know the company was still in business.

the gear box is installed just forward of she starboard engine bulkhead. the "gyro" is installed in under the lower bunk. Controls are mounted to right of lower helm on starboard salon wall. I'll grab some pics too when I get a chance.

Mitch
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

I have an old school electric drive linear servo on chain. Its just directional w no fancy stuff but uses an oversteer brake due to all the chain slop.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I will not be unwrapping the boat for another month,
That is just awful! Come on climate change....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

While I'm sure there is provision for play in the steering system, I suspect too much will drive the computer nuts while it struggles to track properly. The older units were probably not as sensitive, and they didn't have half of the perks the new ones do that rely on the ability for the vessel's hardware to react in a precise manner. Your best bet is to call Simrad tech support directly so that you get first hand information. They do have a couple of other drives besides hydraulic, whether they can be integrated into an older chain system and work as they should is the question.

A hydraulic steering system would be a nice upgrade!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

When I had my 34' CHB trawler, it had an old style Benmar autopilot with chain / shaft steering, our F-32 had the same arrangement for the most part.

I converted the computer from the old Benmar system to a Comnav 1420 autopilot which included the computer, fluxgate compass and remotes for both upper and lower stations. I reused the Benmar mechanical drive which the new computer was able to drive.

The system minus the mechanical drive cost about 900.00 and I installed it myself in about a half a day. Calibrating the system is very straight forward and easy.

Follow the link below and you'll see their products and if you look under the tab, "featured installations" scroll down and you'll find Gettaway, installed by me !
you might try craigslist and see if you can find an old Bnemar mechanical drive that someone has removed, or there are a number of mechanical drive manufacturers, such as Raymane

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=579&c ... 0&col=5916

http://www.comnavmarine.com/
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

BigD, in addition to my dealer (BOE Marine) who is quite knowledgable, I have been talking to Simrad and Octopus (who makes drives for most of the autopilot companies). It is hard getting consistent info from them, which has made the process more difficult.

Gettaway, your info is helping me by letting me know that I can use a lower power drive than I originally thought, which lets me use a less expensive controller. It must have been a while ago that you bought the Comnav autopilot -- they are about $1,400 now. It seems like a nice system, but I already have some of the included components, so will be going with a Simrad system. By the way, thanks for sticking around after selling your Trojan. You add a lot to the forum!

I am going to go with an Octopus hydraulic drive, though I might be able to get by with a less expensive mechanical one. Our boat is just over the size that these drives are rated for and I am pretty sure that it would work OK for us. I have heard a lot of good things about the Octopus drives and am willing to pay a little extra for the benefits. I also decided to go with the less expensive Simrad AC12 computer rather than the AC42. This is where I was having the most trouble, as the AC12 is rated for 8A continuous and 16A peak for 1 second. The Octopus drives I am looking at are rated for 3-6A average and 19A peak. Simrad told me to go with the AC42, but my gut feeling is that I don't need to spend twice as much on the computer in this case. Octopus' excellent support confirmed this and told me that most installations of these drives go with the AC12 quite successfully. The AC12 apparently has a 15A fuse and Octopus told me that the 19A rating is at full stall for the drive, which should not be close to happening on our boat.

I will report back once I get some time at the boat to decide exactly which drive configuration I will be buying and get this project underway.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Does anyone have a photo of how your autopilot linear drive is mounted in a F32 or F36?

I am going to have to rearrange some things under the cockpit and am looking for ideas...
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Last try -- anyone have a photo of how your autopilot linear drive is mounted in a F32 or F36?
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's