Spray rails

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Patriciamarie

Spray rails

Post by Patriciamarie »

1977 F30 my spray rails especially port side is a least 1 / 3rd rotted away and moving in and out from the hull , I've been reading a lot of posts , which further clouded my understanding if the water conditions don't really warrant them can they simply be removed and the hull cleaned up. The mounting hardware looks a little different.
Steve
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Spray rails

Post by prowlersfish »

Yes you can remove them . Make sure the holes are filled /glassed over .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Patriciamarie

Post by Patriciamarie »

What kind of mounting hardware am I dealing with.
Steve
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

They are not difficult or expensive to replace. Their other job is protecting the lower aft hull from impact damage and they look good, IMHO 8)
Patriciamarie

Post by Patriciamarie »

Thanks jimbo36 the fasteners are epoxyed on the inside and deep into the wood on the exterior the shaft size appears to be about 1/8 Dia and galvanized do you concur. Sounds like a real pain in the rear. What's the best way to remove them.
Steve
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

They are easy to replace. You can order teak strips, about 1" thick , screw, glue, and layup in 3-4 layers, sand and paint. I replaced the rails on our F36 a couple years back. think the cost was about $200.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

[quote="Sounds like a real pain in the rear. What's the best way to remove them.
Steve[/quote]

Like someone is gonna give the answer?? LOL

As an F30 owner, personally, I would not remove them. I'd replace them. Im of the opinion that they do work and serve a purpose.

If your gel coat is fine like mine and you remove them - then you have a lot of screw holes to deal with if you patch them up.

I have looked into it. Mine are still OK but will need to be done down the road soon.

Chrome trim should just unscrew from the outside. There are two screws on the stern which Im not sure if they go through the hull.

On the inside of the hull from mid-engine to the stern you will find screws on the hull which attaches the rail to the boat. Problem is getting to all of the screws. I believe we would need to lift / remove the big hatch just aft of the engine hatches and lie on the gas tanks to get access to the screws on the sides of and to the rear of the gas tanks.

When it comes time for me to do it - I was thinking of hiring a little person to do it.

Please let me know how it goes . . .

Capt. Dave
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Upon further reading of your post - sounds like someone previously changed the rails and modified how they were mounted.

Mine are screwed in with the infamous Trojan bronze screws.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express