Through hual valev

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bob wilkins

Through hual valev

Post by bob wilkins »

Boys
While I was de-winterizing my engine I broke the T handle off of the port side sea valve.
Two things
One where can I find spare parts and secondly can I change out the guts while in the water
Thanks
Bob
77 F32
Bob W
Cmount
Sporadic User

Re: Through hual valev

Post by Cmount »

I do not think you can do a lot without a diver in the water, and from memory, my 77 f32 t handles I could not find. I ended up doing the same thing on shore when I first bought the boat and ended up cutting them out and replacing with new ball valves and thru hulls. Not an easy task, but mine would not shut off, and I snapped them trying, and since did not want that that to be an insurance liability issue, I made them new. I actually did all of my through hulls as it was detailed out in the survey that many did not operate. 5200 is strong stuff!

Maybe check with Beacon Marine, if it exists, they will have it or at least have a line on it. But I am pretty sure when you try to fix it, and open it up, it will pour in water. Not 100% though
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
bob wilkins

Post by bob wilkins »

Cmount

Thanks for the information
I will contact Beacon to see if they have the valve

Bob
Bob W
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

If Beacon cannot help you out, here is some info for you:

Groco SV series instructions: http://www.groco.net/SVC-MAN-07/Sec4/PDF/SV.pdf

I found a couple of internet resellers showing stock of the wingnuts, but not knowing what size you need, am not showing the links.

I think you can remove the shaft from the broken off wingnut while in the water without causing a big leak, if you can get a grip on it and break it loose. Unfortunately, the rubber plugs have been out of production for 20 years and are very hard to find.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

those damn t handles, I dont think ive ever had a boat equipped with them that they actually worked. As far as changing that kind of thing in the water Ive changed water hoses and things, obviously the water flows in but its not high pressure like in a cartoon. If it helps you can attach a waterline above sea level to the thru hull to stop water flow while you work
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

WOW Never thought about the idea with the hose...so simple!
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

did you loosen the valve body before you tried to operate the valve? the old style sea cocks had a jam nut type of arrangement you had loosen before operating the actual valve to an open or closed position,
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

When Bob said he broke off the T-handle, I thought he was referring to the lock wingnut on the back of the valve. If it was the lever that opens/closes the seacock, I believe that threads into the bronze shaft of the plug and could be removed just like a broken bolt. That would not cause any water to enter the boat and could be done while in the water.

Of course, this all assumes he has the original Groco SV seacock...
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

trying not to get myself in a lot of hurry up work, that said my junk f28 has two of the valves like yours. I should not be a big deal to pull the guts from one of my extras that is going into the dump anyway. My good f28 had both valves greased with silicone swimming pool grease and now work freely. You can have the valve guts if in no big rush.

Remember the keel is probably 3 feet deep in water and intakes half that. I repacked my one inch shafts while in the water, not much water came in and bilge pump took care of that. It is kind of scary having water coming in no matter why.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink