F-26 steering assembly replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

VIK

F-26 steering assembly replacement

Post by VIK »

Hello all,
First time posting but many hours of reading. I am a new owner of a 77 f-26.
What started with a cleaning,has now turned into pretty much a total refit.
Original steering set up has failed and I purchased a new rack set up.however it is a back mount system.has anyone replaced this set up with success? The original mounted to the bulkhead wall.
Paul
Active User

Re: F-26 steering assembly replacement

Post by Paul »

Hi Vik,

Welcome aboard. In my '78, the rack is installed vertically and is fastened to the back side of the helm enclosure. This ensures that the shaft distance to the wheel is correct. If mounting the rack to the bulkhead behind the helm enclosure you'll probably require shim blocks to space it correctly, not the preferred method.

Hope this helps,
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
VIK

Post by VIK »

Thanks for your input Paul.
I think I might need to beef up the helm in that area. It seems a little weak to mount an assembly at this time.

Leif
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Vic,
Could you help us out by telling us what Steering Rack you brought to replace the rack and cable on your F 26.

Also did you need to change the helm as well or were you able to use the old helm with the new rack.

If you have any pictures of what you did that would help as well.

We are trying to help a new owner of a F 26 with a broken rack and cable.

If it would help you can call us or text us at 609 713 4602

If any one else has replace the rack and cable on a F 26 your any info would be a great help.

Bob Cushman
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

I replaced my steering rack back in 1996 with a teleflex no feedback system, model SS14715. I checked online and it is still available. It is mostly used for outboards, however it works really well on my F-26. I did have to modify my helm as the new unit (SS14715) was larger in diameter than the original. I used 5/4" teak for the main support, the rack is mounted vertically to this board, not the bulkhead. I had to add a second board as a spacer to shim it out, as the shaft is longer than the original system. I can't remember the exact dimensions of the boards off the top of my head. I also had to cut the access panel directly below the mounting board. Those were the only modifications I can remember doing. I did not have to modify anything on the piston end, it bolted up fine. Below is a photo of my helm post installation. If you need any measurements or additional photos let me know, I will be down on the boat this weekend.

Matt