1989 Trojan 10 Meter 340 Mid cabin - Upgrade thread

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: 1989 Trojan 10 Meter 340 Mid cabin - Upgrade thread

Post by zedtwentyate »

RWS wrote:if there were a way to put the boat into a PAINT CAN SHAKER you could easily get the job done with a bigger filter setup.

Problem is there is so much trash in that tank that won't come loose until you are underway.

Have you considered upgrading to a cartridge type filter/water separator made by Racor?

Don't know if a diesel cartridge would work with gas, but these have clear housings and tremendous capacity.

The cartridges can be purchased on line and are not expensive. They come in 30 micron, 20 micron, 10 micron and 2 micron sizes.

Once you are underway the motion of the boat will loosen up all that debris and.......

I run two 900 series filters for the engines, and a 500 for the genny.

Here's the 900

http://www.allpointsmarineco.com/view/251/546/

you might get by with the 500

IMHO, going to an OVERSIZED capacity filter/water separator is the smartest, easiest way to solve your problem, AS LONG AS THE FUEL PICKUP DOES NOT BECOME CLOGGED.

RWS
Thanks RWS.

I have considered an upgrade. The concern I have with that is it does not solve the issue of the anti-siphon valve becoming clogged. My actual filter is not clogged up at all, it's the check valve that clogs.

Any thoughts on that? I have heard of people removing them, but I am not 100% sure I would want to do that...
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Just a thought , but could you move the ASV a bit and install a filter between it and the tank??....oh and it is a no no to use clear bowl glass or plastic type filter set ups in an enclosed gasoline engine compartment, ok for diesel...
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

mikeandanne wrote:Just a thought , but could you move the ASV a bit and install a filter between it and the tank??....oh and it is a no no to use clear bowl glass or plastic type filter set ups in an enclosed gasoline engine compartment, ok for diesel...

That was a throw away filter for use in filtering what was in my tank. It's not staying there.

Good thought of installing a filter prior to the valve. It would have to be fairly close to the tank outlet as the whole purpose of the valve is to prevent gasoline from filling the bilge if there is a break in the line.
Kegan

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

oops....I meant the big Racor type separators in the link pics, not the filter you were using for cleaning...Racors are fine ,so long as you use the ones with the metal bowls for gasoline installs...
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Back on the subject of my leak...

Anyone ever see a trim tab that looks like this?

Sure looks like rub rail screwed into the top of the tab mounts...

Also, was this marina and the previous owner a total hack or am i just being too picky? What the heck are these connections to the hot water tank? I redid it all with pex and shark bites

The setup in the bilge makes no sense at all. There were more hose clamps than i could count. Nothing was ran direct. Every connection took at least 2 to 3 pieces of hose clamped together or slid over the top of a pex line and clamped. Keeping this bilge dry is a full time job. I wish i noticed this stuff before! The "new" water pump for the fresh water tank was also hooked up by wiring two bare wires together and putting electrical tape around them. I was too embarrassed to even take a picture of that. The shower drain pump had one hose hooked to the T and the other one laying in the bilge. The T had electrical tape and plastic wrap on on it to try to keep suction.

At least she's pretty on the outside :)

Kegan

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Ah, the joy of cleaning up somebody else's work -- I can relate!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

All I can say about the hot water heater is "WOW", seriously "WOW"! you are not being too picky! love the rub rail trim tab set up! LOL. The most important thing is the fact that you can discern what is correct and what is "Unacceptably Creative engineering"! You are however correct, she does look pretty on the outside!
If you decide to replace hose clamps you can get the expensive (better quality) AWAB hose clamps that last substantially longer then the cheap ones at McMaster Carr for a lot less then west marine. I replaced every one of mine with these.
keep up the good work!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

kinda reminds me of mine when I got her.

Previous owner bought her right off the Miami Boat Show floor - she was THE show model (wish I had a photo)

He had mechanics handle all the repairs.

I found old spark plugs in the bilge, wire nuts, YES WIRE NUTS on the bilge pumps, and every seacock was frozen open.

And that's just for starters !

I was fortunate that the wiring system was basically intact, however many of the circuit breakers (unique to the Trojan) were replaced with simple toggle switches. Even the SURVEYOR missed that item!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

those circuit breakers are getting hard to come by!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

I've spent a lot of time in the bilge opening for the water pump. I ended up replacing my pump as the original finally gave out. I replaced a lot of the hose as well. I can tell you that getting the hose off and on the water tank was a bear. A few cuts on that one.

I also replaced my holding tank and all San hoses and had the vacuflush pumps rebuilt. That was well worth it.

As for the fuel, RWS is right. you will get crud up periodically. I think I sucked some more up a couple weeks ago. Engines are topping out at about 3800 RPM now and a little fluttery. They were better this week. need to change out the filters again and may run the polisher
Bhandfield

Post by Bhandfield »

I just purchased a 1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin and my A/C unit is leaking into the mid cabin. Can anyone help me with the proper way to have the condensate line run? I can't find a hose, the unit was replaced in 2014.
1988 10 meter mid cabin twin crusader 454
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Bhandfield wrote:I just purchased a 1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin and my A/C unit is leaking into the mid cabin. Can anyone help me with the proper way to have the condensate line run? I can't find a hose, the unit was replaced in 2014.
You may what to start a new thread , may get noticed better

Congrats on the new boat
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Just wanted to share another update. She finally has her name on! My father in law works in graphic design and had this made based on my rough sketch. Pretty excited about how it turned out.

We went with navy lettering because when I re do the canvas, I think I'll be using navy...

Kegan

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

looks Great!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

Awesome. We just did ours when we had the bottom painted.
TransomName.jpg
TransomName.jpg (139.93 KiB) Viewed 7340 times
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury