F32 Starting issues

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

F32 Starting issues

Post by bjanakos »

OK Trojanites, here is a head scratcher.....

I laid the boat up for a bottom job 6 weeks ago. Did all the work myself. All the yard did was lift it, set it in a maintenance cradle, then lift it and drop it in the water. I was present for all of their operations.

When they dropped me in the water, I could not start the boat (yes, it was working perfectly when I laid her up).

The batteries are relatively new and they are fresh as they have been on shore power. I have power to all my electronics and accessories. I don't think this it's a power issue as much as it is a relay or loose ground somewhere.

One thing that has bothered me.... There are two relays in the solon locker next to the helm where the wiring terminal are located. They are 3 pole relays. They are labeled "POWER", "IGN", "ALT OUT". I am not sure these are a stock feature.... It just does not look like something that was factory installed.

PORT MOTOR:

The port motor fired up just fine. However, after shutting it down, it will no longer turn over. I turn the start switch to "ON" and the buzzer sounds and the gauges come to life. However, nothing happens when I go to start. Odd that it worked once, then broke while sitting there.

I get power from the "POWER" pole on the relay in the "ON" position, and power from the "IGN" pole when I hit the start button.

STARBOARD MOTOR

The starboard motor will not come to life in the "ON" position and there is no start. Console is totally dead.

I get no power from the 3 pole relay.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: F32 Starting issues

Post by Stripermann2 »

Did you check the 12 volt circuit breaker at the rear of each engine?
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Yep. Also the breakers on the console.

I was kind of half way venting and half way looking for a common fault. But I would like to know of the relays in the salon locker are standard to an F-32,
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

bjanakos wrote:Yep. Also the breakers on the console.

I was kind of half way venting and half way looking for a common fault. But I would like to know of the relays in the salon locker are standard to an F-32,
No relays there on my 78 and the wiring is just the same as the original wiring diagrams ( been thru it more than twice lol)......the only relays that i know of for the engine starts, are on the back of the engines ( one for each ) and the one that operates the emergency start in the black box in engine compartment......this might sound simplistic but check your neutral start switches, you probably have but I thought to mention anyway.

There is a manual reset on the lower helm dash as well as the breaker resets on the engines.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Thanks. I will see what these relays are apparently doing and go about eliminating them. As mentioned, I checked the breakers on the console as well.
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

So the Port engine will not roll over? Neutral safety switch????
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

If anyone is interested, it was one of those aforementioned relays. There is an old and large transducer that is still in the hull, but long since been used. It looks like it required an external power source. I think these relays were there to power it any time one of the engines were running. I pulled them out and reverted the ignition wiring back to original specs.