chart plotter/fish finder

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dolcesol2

chart plotter/fish finder

Post by dolcesol2 »

any thoughts or recommendations on a relatively inexpensive chart plotter/fish finder?

i recently purchased a Lowrance Mark 4 Chirp for under $200. transom mounted the transducer on a 1985 Sea Ray, worked great! i like the unit but now i am wanting to install something for a "through hull" transducer in the 10 Meter.

any tips or suggestions are appreciated.
1986 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: chart plotter/fish finder

Post by bjanakos »

This is one of those things wher you are going to get what you pay for. If you just want to find bottom and get a surface temp, most of the entry level items will do just fine. Any reason why you need a through-hull? A well placed transom mount will do just fine.

One thing that I always mention to my customers when they want they start thinking about electronics is to take a moment and think about your entire package... Chart plotting, sonar, radar, autopilot, etc. Even if you don't buy everything at one time, you will save a lot of money if you plan your system accordingly.

With that being said, if you are looking for a Best-Bang-for the Buck unit, take a look at the SIMRAD Go. It's a single multi-function touch screen unit. It is basically the same as the NSS Evo 2 giving you everything SIMRAD offers including Side Scan and CHIRP, but no ability to network with any other devices. If all you need is one multi-screen, give this one a look.
dolcesol2

Post by dolcesol2 »

i figured that a through hull transducer would be an easier install vs a transom mount seeing as though the boat is in the water. I am really only looking for a base model or entry level unit, not planning on anything needing more than that.
1986 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Oh, an "In Hull" or "Shoot through hull" transducer....

You can go to Airmar and look at their offerings and match it up with whatever head unit you choose. You will probably settle on the P79. It's a 50/200 and I don't think any in-hull transducers use CHIRP. You will never have the detail and clarity as a through hull or transom mount, but you should be able to see bottom and fishy objects without an issue.

IMO, I would wait until haul out time and just get a P66 or B60.