MCCK Genset

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fourreins
Moderate User

MCCK Genset

Post by fourreins »

Happy 4th of July everyone.... I am trying to change the points and condenser on my MCCK and I'm not sure how to rotate the engine to find Top Center. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you!
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: MCCK Genset

Post by Big D »

Don't know what vintage you have but basically you can turn the flywheel. The timing mark will be at that end anyway. Pull the plug wires off the coil first.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

I have a model 6.5 mcckj. Will the flywheel just turn by hand? I have never done the points so its all new to me. From what I read I think I need to rotate so that the points are opened all the way. Once I get the new points in and adjust the gap do I need to worry about setting any timing? Also, looks like the new points came with a small capsule of lubricant, any idea where this is placed? I appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Yes you should be able to turn it by hand. If it's too difficult, try removing one or both spark plugs. If you're not familiar with this type of plug wire, they have a special end on them, be careful when you remove them from the plugs or coil. Unthread the caps and gently wiggle the ends out. Don't rush this.

If I recall, the lubricant goes on the actuator that pushes on the points.
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

Thanks Big D.... I will give it a shot.
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

I replace the governor spring on my MCCK today and I had to loosen the threaded tension bolt to get the new spring in place. Does anyone know how to determine the correct amount of tension that should be on this spring. I'm afraid of putting too much or too little tension on the spring. I still have a hunting problem under load so I am thinking a little more tension may help that, but not certain what to do. Amy help would be appreciated.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Read your manual. This is a very sensitive adjustment requiring sensitivity and speed adjustments done together. To decrease sensitivity, move the adjusting clip away from the governor shaft. The sensitivity should be adjusted with no load and under load. Don't mess with it unless you absolutely have to. If you already have, follow the directions in the manual or the chances of getting it right by guessing or trial and error are slim.

I would not touch the governor adjustments unless I have eliminated the carb or fuel filter as possible causes as a fuel delivery problem or adjustment is more likely to be the problem unless the governor spring was indeed bad and someone has messed with the settings to try and compensate for it.