Tinting windows

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

hooked

Tinting windows

Post by hooked »

I have a 1988 F-32 thinking about tinting my front windows with dark tint instead of the canvas cover. Is this a bad idea? Just thought it would be nice to look outside without removing anything.
Paul
Active User

Re: Tinting windows

Post by Paul »

I'm sure that it would look great and you'd probably be happy with it, that is until the first time you have to operate it from inside the cabin at night during a storm.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
hooked

Post by hooked »

I have no lower helm. I was just wondering about if it would keep the boat cooler in summer.
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

Two previous owners ago completely did away with the front windshield in lieu of fiberglass. Still transmits some heat, but it' 97 degrees here in beating sun, so I guess I should expect that. I am about to re-tint the rest of my windows and just did an Ocean Shade hatch cover for the master.
97.jpg
97.jpg (65.84 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

I had mine done this past winter by a local commercial building "tinter". Made a world of difference in the heat gain of my 10 meter sedan since they're pretty much a greenhouse in stock configuration. The sliding glass cockpit Windows and door are slightly tinted from the factory, and I left them alone. I went as dark as he had available, and like you have no lower helm.
The edges are tough to work around the rubber glazing which isn't straight, and you'll see a little light leak around the edges. I left the lexan corner Windows stock too, as tint doesn't stick to lexan that well. Overall I'm glad I did it. Paid him $300 cash for the windshield and side windows.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

While tinting can help keep it cooler , a cover on the front glass works much better . The lighter the color the better .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
ramblin

Post by ramblin »

I have a 12 meter motor yacht that we just got this year and there are black covers for the front windshields. They do greatly reduce the heat but I was thinking a white mesh-like material Ive seen would be better for heat and not darken the cabin as much. Does anyone know what the material is or can recommend something. Also the covers snap on the inside and I see most are on the outside, any advantage to either?
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

We have a front window bra ,white mesh type heavy fabric, which if I remember was called phifertex vinyl mesh.....huge improvement over the common black sunbrella, only thing is with the white it stains a little from water drips from the bridge, take off and clean is all.We save the black for the spring and fall when the heat from the window is appreciated.