F-32 helm ignition breaker

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

F-32 helm ignition breaker

Post by bjanakos »

Went out for a run yesterday and I kept popping the starboard 15A breaker on the helm station next to the ignition switch shutting down the motor. All of my other systems seemed to be running normally (alt, temp, oil, etc). It was mid day so no running lights. I did have on electronics, but I am quite sure they running off the port side.

It seemed to pop at anything higher than idle. So I limped back and only used that motor to dock.

I have a hard top (no bridge) and it's my only station. Ambient temperature was about 98 degrees.

I'm ordering a new breaker since I am hopefully this 38 year old part is just defective. Otherwise, I am not sure what this breaker is responsible for other than starting.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F-32 helm ignition breaker

Post by prowlersfish »

Check and see how many amps the circuit is drawing . you can look at the wiring diagram to see what is on it . Of course many things may have been added . And see what stops working when it pops
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

That was my thought, but there really shouldn't be anything else on that circuit, am I wrong? Everything else has their own circuit down below. There is an add on panel with fuses for the electronics and those all stay on.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

The starboard system usually powers switches/electronics etc on the flybridge, but since you don't have one that shouldn't be an issue. Other things that tend to be on the starboard circuit are wipers, blowers, aft bilge pump, starboard engine gauges. If nothing obvious shows up with engine and gauges you could check out circuits for those for any shorts.

I have also had (I forget if it was voltage regulator or ignition module) fail resulting in a current spike that actually popped the 50A breaker on the engine.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I am discussing the breaker that is on the lower helm (I do not have a bridge) console next to the ignition switch. Does the entire starboard side system pass through that beaker?

No fuses are popping.

Again, it was the middle of a sunny day so no wipers or lights were running. I did run the blower for 5 minutes on my first start and again before getting under way after a fuel stop. No issues.

I'm scratching my head on this one... I'm thinking something is wrong with that motor, or there is a short somewhere, or the breaker itself is bad. I'll have to figure out a way to put an ohm meter on it and safley run it at the same time.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

If there is any interest, or if anyone is having the same problem, it appeared to be a weak breaker. The weather and day-off windows finally aligned and I had her out on her first real run in the Gulf.

My only real complaint was she wasn't making way as well as I liked. At 2800 RPMs I should be mid to high teens and I could barley make 10 kts.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Dirty bottom I would guess
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D