Show me your V-Berth

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Christian
Sporadic User

Show me your V-Berth

Post by Christian »

Hi All,

Like so many boats of any considerable age, my boat has sustained substantial mods over the years. In my case, the forward head was separated in 2 with 1 half modified into a locker and the second half extending to the V-berth with access to the sink. My plan is to refit the boat starting from the bow and working my way to the stern restoring the original layout. All of this while using the boat...

This was the original state of the V-berth when I acquired to boat.
GEDC0116.jpg
GEDC0116.jpg (49.5 KiB) Viewed 8059 times
GEDC0115.jpg
GEDC0115.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 8059 times
As you can see, form the v-berth you had access to the sink. As far as the other half of the head, it was transformed into a locker.
Locker.jpg
Locker.jpg (163.31 KiB) Viewed 8059 times
Christian
Sporadic User

Re: Show me your V-Berth

Post by Christian »

A few weeks ago, I started the re-model. I emptied the locker...
empty.jpg
empty.jpg (107.55 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
Removed the shelves and the additional wall.
Head.jpg
Head.jpg (113.34 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
I then removed the headliner, the 10,000 staples and the wall covering...
V-Berth walls removed.jpg
V-Berth walls removed.jpg (167.17 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Removing the plywood pads on the walls and ceiling was a PITA. I had to use a wood chisel to get most of it off and finish with an 8" grinder and sanding disk...
pads.jpg
pads.jpg (169.78 KiB) Viewed 8056 times
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

I also re-bedded the forward hatch as it was leaking (sorry no pictures of that one)

Now for the plan. This is where I need your input. I want to re-do the chain locker bulkhead and create a shelf to hold a flat screen TV and maybe some books. Re-do the bulkhead separating the V-Berth and the head as this one was cut in the previous modifications. Create usable storage under the bunk.

Do you guys have any pictures of your V-berths? I need inspiration...
Also, What kind of wood was used for the bed framing?
What kind of plywood was used on the bulkheads?

Cheers!

Christian
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I decide not to tackle the "V' just yet. Mine does not have the bunks?
The head I've just done some cleaning and for now just some new flooring
I also remade the toilet base box out of fiberglass, it's way more sanitary :)

Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Hi Barrie,

I don't believe the bunks were standard or even offered. I guess they were added at some point. My boat use to sleep 9 :shock: 4 in the V-berth, 2 in the salon and another 3 in the aft cabin. the port bed in the aft cabin was extended to a queen size bed. This is the one I am currently using.

I think I made a mistake when I replaced the seacocks in the boat. For those with the engines in the aft cabin, you will understand this. What I should have done is to re-locate all the seacocks of the aft cabin to the center walkway, flip the exhaust collector and flip the mufflers so that they are running inboard of the engines instead of out. finally make new exhaust exits in the stern. This way, I could have made a king size bed in the middle of the Aft Cabin and have room to walk around it. Oh well, Maybe next summer...

Cheers
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

King size bed??? that would have worked! I'm too far now.
That's going to bug me now :(
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Christian wrote:
I think I made a mistake when I replaced the seacocks in the boat. For those with the engines in the aft cabin, you will understand this. What I should have done is to re-locate all the seacocks of the aft cabin to the center walkway, flip the exhaust collector and flip the mufflers so that they are running inboard of the engines instead of out. finally make new exhaust exits in the stern. This way, I could have made a king size bed in the middle of the Aft Cabin and have room to walk around it. Oh well, Maybe next summer...
I would avoid exhaust exits in the stern. When underway the "station wagon effect" will bring the exhaust back into the boat. Side exhaust is the preferred location.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Thanks Dog House! That makes sense. I could still make it work with more routing...
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

I'm on "vacation" this week. So I can work on the boat. My sweet Better Half could not join me so I can make a mess as much as I want :lol:
Today I continued stripping the V-Berth. I got rid of the chain locker bulkhead. parts are flying out of the boat now :shock:
V-Berth Bulkhead.jpg
V-Berth Bulkhead.jpg (115.8 KiB) Viewed 8026 times
I did leave the bed frame in place until now because I needed a platform to grind off the tabbing of the bulkhead. I guess now it's ready to come off!

This is the pile of stuff I took out to this point.
stuff.jpg
stuff.jpg (144.9 KiB) Viewed 8026 times
I have a few observations. What I found is household electrical wiring to the v-berth heater. (I half expected Knob-and-tube) LOL and the heater is not explosion (ignition) proof. Is this normal? I would have expected better from Trojan! Oh well. I'll have to fix this as well...

Cheers,

Christian
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

Good luck, looks good so far. People really butcher up their boats, then it takes someone like you to put it back to a proper state.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Christian wrote:I'm on "vacation" this week. So I can work on the boat. My sweet Better Half could not join me so I can make a mess as much as I want :lol:
Today I continued stripping the V-Berth. I got rid of the chain locker bulkhead. parts are flying out of the boat now :shock:

I have a few observations. What I found is household electrical wiring to the v-berth heater. (I half expected Knob-and-tube) LOL and the heater is not explosion (ignition) proof. Is this normal? I would have expected better from Trojan! Oh well. I'll have to fix this as well...

Cheers,

Christian
Where are you going to store your chain/rope for the anchor ? As far as the heater it would not be explosion (ignition) proof as its not in the engine room or fuel area .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

:evil:photo editor issues
Last edited by Misty on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Misty wrote:Here is mine. All original.
Attachments
resized(2).jpg
resized(2).jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Christian wrote:Hi Barrie,

I don't believe the bunks were standard or even offered. I guess they were added at some point. My boat use to sleep 9 :shock: 4 in the V-berth, 2 in the salon and another 3 in the aft cabin. the port bed in the aft cabin was extended to a queen size bed. This is the one I am currently using.

Cheers
Christian thats too many modifications of the manufacturer for me. Hot spots, pick ups and mounting are all carefully engineered. I resolved to plop a 28" piece of plywood in the gap with a filler cushion. With 9 people on board we are not talking a pristine tidy weekend anyhow! Sorry about photo quality.