Show me your V-Berth

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Re: Show me your V-Berth

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Christian,

I turned the port bunk into a double bed. I realize that it's not a queen, but it still worked fine for us.

I widened the actual bed in both directions by: #1. Extending the platform into the aisle space by adding six inches (there is room to re-locate that aft entrance ladder toward the starboard.) #2. Removing the box-like outer partition that runs along the outer side of your berth will gain you 14 inches (you will lose your shelf). You then extend the bed platform outward toward the exposed fibreglass freeboard and also install a new inner wall partition wall wherever you see fit. (teak in my case)

Then we had a new mattress made to fit those dimensions and it worked well.

We left the starboard berth alone.

I can't remember how to upload photos anymore. If somebody can re-explain that to me I'll send you some photos of the operation and results. if you send me an email address I'll attach same

The boat I'm referring to was sold, but is docked in Portland and I'm pretty sure the current owner would show you the berth.

Cheers

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

prowlersfish wrote:
Christian wrote:I'm on "vacation" this week. So I can work on the boat. My sweet Better Half could not join me so I can make a mess as much as I want :lol:
Today I continued stripping the V-Berth. I got rid of the chain locker bulkhead. parts are flying out of the boat now :shock:

I have a few observations. What I found is household electrical wiring to the v-berth heater. (I half expected Knob-and-tube) LOL and the heater is not explosion (ignition) proof. Is this normal? I would have expected better from Trojan! Oh well. I'll have to fix this as well...

Cheers,

Christian
Where are you going to store your chain/rope for the anchor ? As far as the heater it would not be explosion (ignition) proof as its not in the engine room or fuel area .
I am just going to make the chain locker a bit smaller. Should still be plenty big for Rhode and chain...
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

I spent more time at the boat over the weekend. V-Berth is progressing well although a bit slow. I finished cleaning the area and kept 1 bulkhead temporarily. I was concerned of structural integrity if I removed everything in one shot.
Berth1.jpg
Berth1.jpg (161.8 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
Berth2.jpg
Berth2.jpg (124.7 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
I then started adding ne floor joists.
Floor1.jpg
Floor1.jpg (158.68 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

here, you can see how I made the patterns for the joists.
Floor15.jpg
Floor15.jpg (138.96 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
Of course I had to make 2 for each joist 1-1/2 inch apart so I could accurately cut the wood to match the hull curves and angles.
Floor2.jpg
Floor2.jpg (151.12 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
I have 1 joist left to put in but unfortunately, I ran out of time...
The next step is to put the tabbing and the plywood over the joists and build the bed frame. That's going to be in 2 weeks... Ill keep posting progress.

Cheers,

Christian