Depth finder

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rnrvmd

Depth finder

Post by rnrvmd »

I was reading the Trojan history in an effort to learn more about these elegant boats. In the article, it mentions that the "x packages" contained optional features such as a depth finder, which my boat has. As I am a newbie and awaiting my Vt registration, I have not left the mooring. Anyone know anything about this feature? Also, the " water pump" switch on the dash does what?
Thanks. I am enjoying reading the forum.

Randy
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Depth finder

Post by P-Dogg »

Ummm, what kind of trojan do you have? Model year?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
rnrvmd

Post by rnrvmd »

1974 f30 Sea Raider
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Hard to say if your depth finder is one that came with the boat is the a brand name on it ?photo ? If it came with the boat I would be shocked If it still worked after 42 years . then again I am older the that and I still work ....well sort of LOL
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I don't know for sure but the water pump switch probably turns on the pump for the freshwater system (galley, head, etc.).
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
rnrvmd

Post by rnrvmd »

Thanks for the info. I will take pictures as it appears original. If you read the Trojan History article on this website, it mentions an optional depth finder for X Package. I wonder if the HIN would be listed anywhere to me to check.

Thanks again
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I think the original sounders were from Datamarine, and I wouldn't trust them any more.
rnrvmd

Post by rnrvmd »

OK. Thanks for all your help. I will keep everyone posted as the mystery unwinds.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Yes, I have one of the originals if you want it. It used tubes instead of transistors. Can't remember the amp draw on it. I'm now down to less than 5 amps at night with full electronics.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

My 78 F-28 came with a round dial that indicated depth mounted in center of lower helm. It's guts were secured in the storage area under the seats with some type of transducer. I do not know if it was working or not but removed the whole thing for more modern.

I installed a large red light in its place that tells me the bilge blowers are running. I have found it is so easy to forget to turn them off once engines running and they do draw considerable current and connections can get hot if not tight enough.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
rnrvmd

Post by rnrvmd »

Thanks to everyone. Turns out the original switch is attached to a new digital readout.