Paint/Clear coat

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fourreins
Moderate User

Paint/Clear coat

Post by fourreins »

I have had my 10.8 International Sedan for about 8 years now and the stripes on the bridge need some attention. Looks like the previous owner had the two stripes painted on and then clear coated. About a year or so ago the clear coat started to bubble and flake off. The painted stripes below look to be in good shape with the exception of looking dull since the clear coat is gone. I was hoping that I may be able to just remove the clear coat that remains and maybe just spray a new clear over them. Any thoughts or recommendations from someone who may have done something similar would be appreciated.
jimbo36
Moderate User

Re: Paint/Clear coat

Post by jimbo36 »

You can try this but you need to get ALL of the clear coat off, otherwise the edges of the remaining clear with pop out under the new clear. It will be difficult to do this without going through the paint. You may find it better to repaint the stripes with a good prep over the existing stripes. I would use Interlux Briteside with no clear necessary. IMHO Good luck.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

jimbo36 wrote: You may find it better to repaint the stripes with a good prep over the existing stripes. I would use Interlux Briteside with no clear necessary. IMHO Good luck.
I totally agree - sand the clear coat off and then go with the above paint. It will last for years - mine is going on 5 years and looks great. AND REMEMBER its all about the prep!!!!!!!

That topside paint ain't the easiest to use as it is thinner than water and you need to mask everything and work fast.

You will be HAPPY once it is done!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

So what is the best way to sand the clear coat off. What grit? Would some sort of solvent just remove the clear? What is the best way to apply this paint? Foam roller and brush or can it be sprayed?