What Fuel Stabilizer do you use?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Christian
Sporadic User

What Fuel Stabilizer do you use?

Post by Christian »

Hi guys,

I don't know about you, but so far, I have had a great time boating this year. Unfortunately I have to pull my boat out next week. I will have very few weekends left to winterize my boat so I'll start early. furthermore, I want to get the woodwork off to re-finish it during the winter.

Before I pull the boat out, I would like to put some fuel stabilizer in the fuel tanks and have 1 last glorious ride :D .
Is there a consensus out there as to what our older boats need? I have two LM400s (280hp) and the original tanks. I am located in Ontario.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Christian
Paul
Active User

Re: What Fuel Stabilizer do you use?

Post by Paul »

I've been using Sta-Bil Marine concentrate (green) for years and have never had an issue. For winter I add this to a tank of premium fuel and run it thru the engine and generator before haul out. The premium fuel helps offset the octane loss from sitting thru the winter months.

Hope this helps,
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Thanks Paul!

Would Sta-Bil 360 Marine be appropriate for older engines?

Thanks

Christian
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

We have used Star Tron for years with good results, even with E10 fuel. The Star Tron goes in every time we add fuel, so nothing to worry about for winter layup.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

im getting away from stabil and been having great luck with star tron as well
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Our marina's gas comes with starron. Gas has not been a problem for me.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I wouldn't sweat it too much Christian. I've run a gambit of brands over the years with no real noticeable difference. Pick a common brand and go with it. No worries re the older engines, I don't think they're older than mine! The higher octane going into layup is good practice or just add an octane boost come Spring. Are you on ethanol?

It's that time of year again so the next debate will be, "Do I fill up my tanks before haul out or not"!!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Thanks Big D.

I'll see what I can find at my local CT store. I'm sure they have a big selection to choose from. As far as ethanol is concerned, I don't know. Does it really matter for winterizing? I will ask the marina operators but if I had to guess, I'd say there is...

Cheers,

Christian.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Christian wrote:As far as ethanol is concerned, I don't know. Does it really matter for winterizing? I will ask the marina operators but if I had to guess, I'd say there is...
With ethanol fuel you are more likely to have phase separation over the winter months while things are just sitting, increasing chances of problems with water or fouling in the spring. If your fuel is ethanol free you have less to worry about. I always add some methyl hydrate to the tanks in the spring a couple of weeks before launch to try to deal with any water.

http://www.lcbamarketing.com/phase_sepa ... l_blen.htm
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Christian wrote:...As far as ethanol is concerned, I don't know. Does it really matter for winterizing?....
You should find out, not only for winter but throughout the season too, and yes it does matter.
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Hi Big D

Are you saying that ethanol content will affect what fuel stabilizer I use? If so, in what way.

I apologize for all the questions that might sound basic. I never really had to concern myself with storage issues like this.

Cheers.

Christian
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

There are no "basic" questions here Christian. EVERY question is important when seeking an answer for something you aren't sure about.....we've all been there at one time during our boating life. By asking what you think may by insignificant may also help someone else that is hesitant to ask the same thing. SO, there is no such thing as a silly question on this forum!....We have a good bunch here so please feel free to ask away.

There are some brands that make claims about their product when it comes to ethanol fuel storage. Again, I've never ran into any problems that have been directly linked to the type of stabilizer I've used whether it was in ethanol fuel or not so I wouldn't worry about it but if it makes you feel easier, I don't see the harm in using a product claiming to be beneficial when storing E10 whether you have it or not. Personally, I keep an eye on known brands coming on sale and buy which ever has the best sale.

Knowing whether you have E10 or not makes a difference in how you manage fuel usage/purchase during the boating season based on your boating habits. It's also important to know heading into haul out time.
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Thanks Big D!

I finally got a hold of my marina. They say that the fuel they supply has no ethanol in it.

Christian
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Christian wrote: I finally got a hold of my marina. They say that the fuel they supply has no ethanol in it.
If there is no ethanol in the fuel then any reputable fuel stabilizer should do the job. For gas that contains ethanol I would recommend Startron. It seems to deal with any potential water in the fuel the best.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

Every year Canadian Tire puts Fuel Stabilizer on sale. They have had it on twice so far in the last three weeks. They carry three flavours, Sta bil, STP and their own brand Motomaster. All three will probably be on sale given enough time. All have the same ratio of protection. When it is on sale generally 40 - 50 % off.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay