10 Meter Mid Cabin "Refresh"

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

Re: 10 Meter Mid Cabin "Refresh" ***Title Change***

Post by BobCT »

On April 24th, I predicted 45-60 days. Thanks for making me look good! Awesome feeling having all the hard work behind you. Go do some boating!
1988 10m mid cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

BobCT wrote:On April 24th, I predicted 45-60 days. Thanks for making me look good! Awesome feeling having all the hard work behind you. Go do some boating!
BOB the great prognosticator!!!

I can't believe were in the water and the motors are running. I was starting to question myself and my skills towards the end!

Here's where we are at. I have put about an hour on the motors and now I will be doing an oil change tomorrow. I want to just get fresh oil incase there are any contaminants from my 'less than professional' rebuild.

Outstanding issues:
1. Small oil leak on port motor valve cover. from the back of the engine, its the right side. great news for access! My dad must have been the one to tighten those nuts :). If it's not that, the maybe my gasket is wonky.

2. My windlass has ceased to operate. I may or may not have put a screw through one of the negative wires while fixing those damn intake boxes. This one grinds my gears. I think I'll be ordering foot switches for the front so that the Mrs. can operate it.

3. I have oil in my pretty, clean, partially painted bilge :(

4. Fresh water pump hates me. It worked last season, now i have pressure in the head toilet, the sink in the head and thats it. The kitchen sink faucet does nothing put drip.

5. Washdown pump also hates me. I had a cracked strainer on that. Presumably because I didnt winterize that and it froze and cracked. Maybe there's more to this this story. If its not the pump, then maybe the seacock. Either way, it put a damper on me washing the boat out on the lake today.

6. Starboard muffler leaks like a son of a b****. It's just dripping off the bottom.

7. Port side exhaust riser has water dripping down the studs that hold it to the manifold. I'm stumped here. Maybe some permatex...

8. Well, that's enough for now.

Good news, I hit 26 mph today. Time for some 4 blades...
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

I know it felt good to fire her up and take a spin around the water. Congrats on a successful repair project!
Currently Trojan-less :?
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Always a punch list with these beasts.

- The muffler is fiberglass and an easy fix with some epoxy and/mat. You could even rotate in place so you get a better working position if you don't want to remove it completely. I did this on one of mine about 7 years ago and it's held up great. Clamps might also be making it look like the muffler itself.

- if you are still using factory windlass wiring, it shouldn't be that far aft where working on the intakes would come into play. The only wiring I can think of in that area runs up to the arch (spkrs, anc light, etc.

- on the riser leak, I get those occasionally too. I've done the risers/elbows twice now and it seems to take me a about a season of very slight retorquing before I'm drip free. I did a very light coat of Permatex black this past time on all of the sealing surfaces, 1st time was dry.

Pretty short list considering all of the work you did.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

BobCT wrote:Always a punch list with these beasts.

- The muffler is fiberglass and an easy fix with some epoxy and/mat. You could even rotate in place so you get a better working position if you don't want to remove it completely. I did this on one of mine about 7 years ago and it's held up great. Clamps might also be making it look like the muffler itself.

- if you are still using factory windlass wiring, it shouldn't be that far aft where working on the intakes would come into play. The only wiring I can think of in that area runs up to the arch (spkrs, anc light, etc.

- on the riser leak, I get those occasionally too. I've done the risers/elbows twice now and it seems to take me a about a season of very slight retorquing before I'm drip free. I did a very light coat of Permatex black this past time on all of the sealing surfaces, 1st time was dry.

Pretty short list considering all of the work you did.

Bob
I agree. The list isn't too bad.

I'll have to get in there and adjust the exhaust hoses and recall to see if that does the trick. I was in there laying on the two hoses and y trying to tighten to motor mounts so I may have moved it around.

As far as factory windlass, the previous owner installed this one. I do t believe it was factory based on the way that the guy had it run. I'm now getting 12v at the windlass, so it may be the switch coming from the dash. Two leads go to the windlass and one goes to the + terminal. There is also a small black wire that connects from the solenoid to the - terminal. I think that may be the one I put the screw through!
Kegan

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

You probably already thought of this, but any chance the screen in the kitchen faucet is clogged? I usually remove them from the faucets each spring and run the water for a while before reinstalling.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

WayWeGo wrote:You probably already thought of this, but any chance the screen in the kitchen faucet is clogged? I usually remove them from the faucets each spring and run the water for a while before reinstalling.
I didnt think of it! Thank you!
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

WayWeGo wrote:You probably already thought of this, but any chance the screen in the kitchen faucet is clogged? I usually remove them from the faucets each spring and run the water for a while before reinstalling.

Well.........

That was the issue! I popped the screen and it worked fine! Thanks for the pro tip!
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

zedtwentyate wrote:
BobCT wrote:On April 24th, I predicted 45-60 days. Thanks for making me look good! Awesome feeling having all the hard work behind you. Go do some boating!
BOB the great prognosticator!!!

I can't believe were in the water and the motors are running. I was starting to question myself and my skills towards the end!

Here's where we are at. I have put about an hour on the motors and now I will be doing an oil change tomorrow. I want to just get fresh oil incase there are any contaminants from my 'less than professional' rebuild.

Outstanding issues:
1. Small oil leak on port motor valve cover. from the back of the engine, its the right side. great news for access! My dad must have been the one to tighten those nuts :). If it's not that, the maybe my gasket is wonky.
FIXED. I forgot to tighten one bolt on the valve cover :)

2. My windlass has ceased to operate. I may or may not have put a screw through one of the negative wires while fixing those damn intake boxes. This one grinds my gears. I think I'll be ordering foot switches for the front so that the Mrs. can operate it.

3. I have oil in my pretty, clean, partially painted bilge :(

4. Fresh water pump hates me. It worked last season, now i have pressure in the head toilet, the sink in the head and thats it. The kitchen sink faucet does nothing put drip. Fixed thanks to WayWeGo! clogged screen

5. Washdown pump also hates me. I had a cracked strainer on that. Presumably because I didnt winterize that and it froze and cracked. Maybe there's more to this this story. If its not the pump, then maybe the seacock. Either way, it put a damper on me washing the boat out on the lake today.

6. Starboard muffler leaks like a son of a b****. It's just dripping off the bottom.

7. Port side exhaust riser has water dripping down the studs that hold it to the manifold. I'm stumped here. Maybe some permatex...

8. Well, that's enough for now.

Good news, I hit 26 mph today. Time for some 4 blades...
And the latest...

Last night I changed the oil after running a few hours this weekend. When I was done, the oil pressure alarm was going off and the starboard motor wouldnt start. I toiled with it for an hour before I remembered that I had issues with the choke being too tight when i first tried to fire these. Sure enough, with the choke hooked up, the motor would just crank. I unhooked the choke and she fired right up. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to replace these @ $70 a pop. Hardly seems necessary.
Kegan

oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Are they the standard heat up as the key is left on? If so, loosen the three screws that hold the cover on and slowly rotate to reduce the pressure on the choke plate.

Sounds like the checklist is getting smaller!
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

oil&water wrote:Are they the standard heat up as the key is left on? If so, loosen the three screws that hold the cover on and slowly rotate to reduce the pressure on the choke plate.

Sounds like the checklist is getting smaller!

It's one of the Rochester style chokes. It's a flat coil that heats up. There doesn't appear to an adjustment other than trying to unwind it to reduce tension.

https://imgur.com/a/7EGEL
Kegan

oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Okay, you need to bend the choke plate rod, looks like a "Z" to adjust the choke plate setting. That should cure your problem.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Choke ? I don't use no stinking choke :x Opps I have diesels . But on my other gas boats I normally disconnected the chokes in warm weather . More trouble then they are worth IMO .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

prowlersfish wrote:Choke ? I don't use no stinking choke :x Opps I have diesels . But on my other gas boats I normally disconnected the chokes in warm weather . More trouble then they are worth IMO .
Yeah...death to chokes. I'm going to leave it disconnected for now and see if I have any issues. Thanks!
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

My windlass is now fixed!

I had the hot wire hooked to my house bank battery switch. For some reason once I switched it to the start batteries it worked fine.

I don't get it.

Maybe there was too much voltage drop from my switch and fuse?

Stumped.
Kegan