ac install

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

billb

ac install

Post by billb »

I was thinking of installing a new ac unit in my 79 f32. I was wondering where the best location would be to set the unit.
would under the rear dinette seat work?
thanks.
owner of a nice 1979 f-32
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: ac install

Post by captainmaniac »

You can put it there, but not the best location. Mine is under the forward dinette seat. The biggest problems are that the ducting takes up most of the starboard hanging locker, and I only have vents on top / front / aft side of that hanging locker, so it is really only effective at cooling the lower cabin. The cool air just doesn't really make it up to the Salon (even with fans pushing it there). Lets face it - the F32 Salon is essentially a greenhouse with all that glass. Also I lose the storage space of the drawers that would otherwise be under the forward seat.

Some others on the forum have setups with the vents in the salon, so the salon area gets cooled and the cool air falls down to the lower cabin, probably giving better coverage. I know I have seen the salon ducts in some pictures, but not sure where the AC unit sits, and how they have run the ducting. Also need to be careful about putting the AC unit in the engine compartment, as I am not sure it fully complies with the rules around being 'ignition protected'.

I had considered moving mine to the area under the lower station (where my water heater is now), but decided that with the amount of moisture generated with the condensation from the AC, I didn't really want that near my main electrical panel!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

My 16K unit is under my rear settee seat. I have it running to a main register in the salon, the sette wall and into the starboard vbirth wall. The ducting runs through the upper most corner of the starboard hanging closet so it hardly affects any storage.
You do lose the drawers on that side of the dinette. I made a grill which takes place of the drawer fronts.

System works well. However, as Captainmaniac mentioned, the salon is a green house. We have curtains to help keep salon cool.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

My unit is under the back deck, with blowers in the salon and anchor locker ( venting for salon and berth) My assumption is this was a factory install as documentation shows it was ordered with A/C. This is on a 1988
AC Unit.JPG
AC Unit.JPG (128.34 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Yep, you have the split system. The self contained units take up some real-estate. :D
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

ive toyed with the idea of putting AC in my F32, however i doubt id ever use it. 2 friends who dont often leave the marina have put stand up units in their salons maybe thats an option instead? My friend has a Silverton 37, he removed his AC unit for lack of use and wanted the space, the factory had it installed under the rear deck. Myself and one of my friends decided on making covers out of sunbrella to snap on from the outside, protecting the paint and clean windows and improving the look of our F32s but mainly to shade the sun for heat, as you say greenhouse effect and for sleeping in. We also all have covers over our hatches.
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

Come on to tennessee in the summer when it's mid 90's plus for over 100 days this summer and mid 80's at ni gh t and humidity in the 70's and try getting by without ac. This is the first weekend we will be Able to get a decent nights sleep with no ac. Fall is finally getting close.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe