Trojan f36 tri-cabin survey lower back deck issues

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

baggins

Trojan f36 tri-cabin survey lower back deck issues

Post by baggins »

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and to owning Trojan boats. I just purchased an f36 tri cabin 1976, i have been looking for this boat for some time and finally here we are.

My Question:

There was a survey done on the boat in 2015 and the results were it was in great shape but there was one item that was called out and from what i understand was not addressed at the time. This is a cut and paste directly from the survey:

"Note: There are some issues on the lower back deck. The plywood flooring and hatches are quite rotten especially near the transom, also some water has worked its way into the transom framing. The owner intends to remove this part of the deck and replace, sealing up the structure and provide drainage by scuppers.

This does not mean the deck in this area is not safe but in need of restoration."

I'm guessing (because i have not seen drainage in this area on most of the boats i looked at) that this is or may be a common issue that does not get addressed in the manner mentioned ?

So: How much work is this typically to restore (I realize i will need pics for an accurate answer) but approximate, do you know of any how to's or best practices for the restoration.

Also is there a better way to handle drainage in this area (i'm guessing scuppers are the only way to go) but are there any how-to's, best practices, kits/parts any one recommends ?

As mentioned the rest of the boat, is in great shape has been in covered slips for a lot of its life i believe and very well looked after so i really want to continue the trend and do the best restoration possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Robin
jimbo36
Moderate User

Re: Trojan f36 tri-cabin survey lower back deck issues

Post by jimbo36 »

Robin, are you sure you do not have 3 scuppers now. They were standard on your boat. My '74 F36 and all '76 models I viewed on line also have them. 8) they are only visible on the transom and hard to see from the cockpit as they are located behind the back panel. There is a drainage trough that deteriorates and causes water access into the support structure. Remove the back and side panels and you will see the extent of the problem. Good luck.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

This is my Try Fly, I'm thinking the Tricabin is similar.
I think these pics will help with what Jimbo has described
If you look VERY closely you can see the drains in these terrible pictures
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Barrie wrote:This is my Try Fly, I'm thinking the Tricabin is similar.
I think these pics will help with what Jimbo has described
If you look VERY closely you can see the drains in these terrible pictures
Barrie +1 on this.
baggins

Post by baggins »

Hi guys,

Apologies for the late reply's.

I will take all the back covers of the boat tomorrow and send some pics.
baggins

Post by baggins »

Hi guys,

I took the covers of and around the rear deck on the weekend. Unfortunately i did not get any pics as my cell had died. Basically above the rear deck and around the scuppers things look good.

However there is decay (the deck can be crushed by hand) on the rear facing edge and support of the starboard deck hatch and the port side is also very wet although does not appear to be in such decay. So this needs to be fixed.

Also the really bad news (or not so bad depending on who i talk to) the starboard vertical strut running up back of the transom is in very bad shape near the bottom, I have been told this is not critical (dont drive the boat) but needs repair.

I will try to get in there to get some pics.

However two questions come to mind.

1. Can i seal up the rear deck storage access doors immediately with silicon? Before doing so i would like to drill several reasonably sized wholes with a hole saw in the storage space floor and walls to allow it to dry out from the inside ? until i get the time to fix thi issues properly as it seems this is the entry point of the water.

2. How in the heck do i get to the rear transom support when the time comes ? does this (as it looks) require removing the entire rear bulkhead from inside the rear cabin? or worse removing the rear deck (which may end up happening if the entire thing is rotten anyway). I would like to mention that the deck is not spongy in anyway and in the last survey (2015) both items were called out as needing attention but not critical. Partially (apparently) because this boat is so well built/overbuilt both items need work but would not immediately put the vessel at risk.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Baggins,

What exactly are you calling the "rear transom support?" When you look at the photos that Barrie has posted in your thread, do you see these aforementioned supports in the photos?

In regard to these rear decks, they are a weak link to tricabins, in my opinion. When it rains, the rainwater is routed directly to the rear decks and out through moulded in scuppers that some kindergarten student designed for Trojan. Eventually, due to seepage etc. these marine plywood decks end up rotting. Many owners have ripped them out and replaced them (not a huge fix). Taking into consideration Trojan's success building somewhat timeless deigns plus the solid fibreglass and rather indestructible hulls, we are pretty fortunate to own these boats. Of course, nobody in their right mind figured these boats would still be alive and kicking over forty years later. (Where are all the other forty-year old Bayliners and SeaRays?) :D

I sold my tricabin three years ago after sixteen years of ownership and bought another Trojan. It's still located in my marina with the new owners.

All to say, that I would like to more fully understand just what you are looking at that requires repair in regard to the rear transom support. Thanks

Cheers

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
baggins

Post by baggins »

Im going to take some pics this weekend and share them. So you guys can get a better idea as i didnt have a camera and line of sight was horrible and i was also going of what the previous owner told me.

I will take lots so of pics and we can see for sure whats going on.

Im with you i love the boats. I have 1976 25' in my barn that i'm restoring that a farmer gave to me when i bought his trailer actually wouldn't sell me the trailer unless i took the boat on it. I also have a bayliner 89 that's 12 years younger and finished...

Long live Trojan...