Dinghy sling?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I have the C-lift on my F30 and it works fine. You do have to remove the outboard and that is a pain so I often just tow it.......the C clips are easily removed leaving just a small bracket on the swim platform.......haven't broken any tooes yet................John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Well i suppose you might be able to leave the motor on but it would be past horizonal when lifted. My maine concern is the leverage of the leg and possible damage to the inflatable transom.........not to mention the possibility of "splashing" the motor.........I like the sling idea.........John
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I hadn't actually thought of lifting it half way, that might work fine but there would be alot of weight and maybe stress on the dinghy. I'll try that sometime soon.......hadn't heard about the stress of towing the dinghy, so far so good. I don't take the dinghy evertime. I use it for fishing from the marina so it's usually tied to the dock and not on the boat.
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

the "Leg" is the lower unit on the outboard......from the power head to the skeg...........
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
jimini

Post by jimini »

Another point is that there are outboard motor pivot brackets that mount to the outside of the dinghy transom and which allow the motor to pivot to a upright position while the inflatable is vertical... this allows the engine to set in its normal running position all the time... about $150 I think... WM has them I believe
You've gotta be tough if you're gonna be STUPID!

jimini
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I also have that same 9.9 Mercury @ 65 lbs (mine was rebuilt to 12 hp)

It's heavy and after setting it on and off the dink with the risk of dropping it in for a saltwater bath, I set up the boat with a St Croix mini crane. It's removable and makes swinging that outboard from the lazarette to the dink a piece of cake.

Without the motor, the dink is easy to handle and store.

RWS