Cockpit Size and Sea Handling

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mocca01

Cockpit Size and Sea Handling

Post by Mocca01 »

Hi All,

New to the forum as I am looking at buying a 1984 Trojan F-32 and import it to Australia, Western Australia to be specific. Most of our time is spent out on the back deck enjoying a drink and sleeping overnight with some extended stays at nearby islands, by nearby I mean 12Nm across open ocean, some days it is flat and others you might get a 2.5m swell with 25 Knot winds and that's in summer.So my question if anyone can help what is the dimension of the back deck (rear cockpit) as will spend most days out there and what is the vessels handling capability in that type of sea. The most common boat over here are the Bertram 35 however they carry the price tag and I didn't want to go that big.

Cheers
Mick
BobCT
Active User

Re: Cockpit Size and Sea Handling

Post by BobCT »

Let's see what others say but I think you would be better off with an International series rather than a F series for that type of boating. They are good rough weather hulls which might make a difference. A lot can happen in 12 miles.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

First welcome to the site. I wouldn't go out in 2.5M (8ft plus) waves in a F-32 or International or bertram 35. The F-32 does ok in rough water once you get used to it and operate it properly. The International series do have a better hull design. And there is a reason the Bertrams are priced that way (they are better built boats)
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Mocca01

Post by Mocca01 »

Thanks for the input Reel and Bob,

I will look at the International series tonight and perhaps that might be my option. Yes like you said the Berties have a price tag for a reason. Maybe the next boat but this time I am going from a Sea Ray 225 Weekender to the 32 so should see a dramatic difference in handling capability. The swells aren't short an shallow they are long and slow with plenty of water underneath.Its when the wind picks up and you you have the short sharp chop on top. Most days it is great but the weather can turn quickly.

Regards
Mick
ScurvyDog

Post by ScurvyDog »

A quick easy answer about the F32 cockpit is it measures 6ft length by 8ft wide on my 1978 F32.
F32 Ruffinit
Bridgeview Marina
Sarnia, On, Canada
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

[quote="I wouldn't go out in 2.5M (8ft plus) waves)[/quote]

Thanks for translation. Holy crap 8 footers!!!! In those seas, I would consider an extended aft railing like what the fishing guys do.

What I found shocking . . . THEY GOT SEA RAYS IN AUSTRALIA??? Man, them things are like cockroaches - they are everywhere.

Since you know Sea Rays - the 39 Sea Ray from 80s 90s express or flybridge is one to consider as she is beast like.

I agree with Bertram analysis. Some of these boats can be had cheaply in the US especially 1975 - early 80's Bertrams. In the Great Lakes some 33 - 35 Bertrams go from teens to mid 20k. But I digress.

How much does it costs to import a boat to Australia?? That cant be cheap!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Reel Easy wrote:I wouldn't go out in 2.5M (8ft plus) waves in a F-32 or International or bertram 35.
If I had a Bertram 35, I'd take that baby out in 8 footers!!!!!!! Just like riding a roller coaster!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

The key here is the wave period. OP said swells, which are not like short period 8' waves.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Like others have said, it's not about the height of the waves. It is the combination of height with distance between waves, and how steep they are. 2.5m swells 50-100m apart are a piece of cake. 2.5m waves 20m apart are much less fun - especially if they are breaking waves!