Mystery Lights? onan Genset parts

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Misty
Sporadic User

Mystery Lights? onan Genset parts

Post by Misty »

Hey all...

I keep meaning to ask if any of you have these indicator lights installed as I do and what they are for. I suspect they are indicator lights for the unipas autopilot (which I am all for rebuilding!) or the extinguisher system. Before I crawl around I wanted to ask.

I am also (finally) in the process of disassembly of my ONAN MCCK 6.5 (1983) genset. Any parts you want, come pick them up and I will shock you with my prices LOL. It ran a bit then started sticking. Will need cleaning out and resealing. 4-500 for everything fair? Guess I could ship too if you'd like to be shocked with ups and fedex rates these days.
Attachments
Mystery lights
Mystery lights
WP_20170112_001.jpg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 7427 times
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: Mystery Lights? onan Genset parts

Post by bjanakos »

I don't have any lights like that. But I do have 2 mystery red lights and I finally figured out they were indicators for the bilge pumps.
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

There might be something to that. One red and one green makes me think directional something or other
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Misty wrote:There might be something to that. One red and one green makes me think directional something or other
If they were wired in series with your individual nav lights and the nav light burned out, it would indicate that by not being lit.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Paul wrote:
Misty wrote:There might be something to that. One red and one green makes me think directional something or other
If they were wired in series with your individual nav lights and the nav light burned out, it would indicate that by not being lit.
I'm reaching here. :|
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Interesting they do correspond to lighting directionals...
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

I guess I should also ask, what would you repurpose them for? I was thinking ignition on lights so I turn things off
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Misty wrote:Interesting they do correspond to lighting directionals...
I was thinking that as well... But it would make more sense if they were side-by-side. Up and down makes my think possibly ignition related. Red for on and green for start. Don't know.

IMO, It does not look like a stock configuration and I would not worry about re-introducing them into the environment. I spent about a year getting rid of the "gremlins" cause by "upgrades." and just getting the wiring back to the diagram specs.
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

They are side by side. The pic rotated when I uploaded it???? :shock: Since they are drilled into teak and kinda bulbous and Star Trekky, I will reuse them.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I've got nothing like that on mine...........you and your fancy gadgets.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
JKJ

Post by JKJ »

I have two "Mystery Lights" too. one is on all the time and one is off. I also suspected they were for the bilge but i don't hear anything running. Going up this weekend to trace. I am going to start with the thru hull fittings and hoses to track where they go. Hopefully they will lead to two bilge pumps that are not working properly! It appears that there are two bilge pumps from factory? i found one that is direct wired in front of the forward head door near the v-berth, so i don't think it is wired to the lights. I suppose i could pull the bilge pump fuses to see if the light goes out?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks JKJ

Oh, Thanks for adding me to your group. I am a new Trojan F28 owner...
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I had an extra large red light that I installed in dash and repurposed it to alert me that the bilge blower was on. Once engine started you cannot hear them run. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink