About to replace Exhaust Gasgets

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

About to replace Exhaust Gasgets

Post by bjanakos »

I am getting the signature loud "TICK" from my starboard motor (outboard side of course....) I don't see any exhaust in the engine room, but it reminds me of the same sound my old '78 LeBarron used to make....

I'm getting ready to order up some parts, but I am looking for any "Gotchas" or "May as wells" before I start tearing into it.

Thanks in advance.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: About to replace Exhaust Gasgets

Post by prowlersfish »

The main Gotchas with be bolts that don't want to come out .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Might be a good idea to start soaking the bolts with PB Blaster or Kroil.

Some of my friends who own auto shops use a 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone instead of the commercial penetrating oils. They say it actually works better and is a lot cheaper.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

A trick I learned in my muscle car days with headers that always leaked. I cut the holes for the bolts into slots through the bottom of the gaskets so you don't have to remove the manifolds or studs completely.When the gaskets are cut this way all you do is loosen the bolt/nut 1/4" lift out the old gasket and drop the new one on the studs and tighten everything back up.
I was using a sandwich type gasket tin,fiber,tin and they didn't stick to the block or manifold.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

WayWeGo wrote:Might be a good idea to start soaking the bolts with PB Blaster or Kroil.

Some of my friends who own auto shops use a 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone instead of the commercial penetrating oils. They say it actually works better and is a lot cheaper.
I have already been thinking about that. The last thing I want to do in that confined space is use a torch.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Barrie wrote:A trick I learned in my muscle car days with headers that always leaked. I cut the holes for the bolts into slots through the bottom of the gaskets so you don't have to remove the manifolds or studs completely.When the gaskets are cut this way all you do is loosen the bolt/nut 1/4" lift out the old gasket and drop the new one on the studs and tighten everything back up.
I was using a sandwich type gasket tin,fiber,tin and they didn't stick to the block or manifold.
This is something I was also considering. If I can back out the bolts enough to get the gaskets out and back in without completely removing the manifold, life would be grand. I just hope I don't have to do too much cleaning.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

When I put manifolds on my 318s had stainless studs and nuts that came off easily or just turned out of the block. Yes I know of and have experienced stainless galling with 1/2 inch bolts not a good event. These were the original studs and original had metal exhaust gaskets.

On your ticking noise one of my 270 crusaders had a funny sound like that. Started exploring the outboard sides of engines and low and behold a spark plug insulator had cracked and blown out of engine and was hanging by its ignition wire. It sure was making a ticking sound as compression came out the center of the plug. I think this a rare malady but it happened to me and have two sets of plugs to install which are AC M43R. They are stainless base so go figure, will use anti seize on them.

Good luck BJ you know I am just north and have two 318 setting on the hard one for parts.

Larry
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Thanks Larry!

Were you experiencing and running issues? Other than the noise, she starts well and runs well. I don't think it's skipping a cylinder. It's about time to do new plugs anyway. I used to do plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on each motor, off-set every 2 years. But I am not putting on the hours as much now days.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

well it seemed to idle okay but would have notice miss on acceleration which it should with a dead cylinder. you could feel the compression coming out with your hand. there was not center of the plug, and obviously no fire.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

I know exactly the sound you mean. I'm not a Chrysler expert but was told by a mechanic that it was probably an exhaust chuff, after I played a video for them.

Yes, why DID all large Chryslers in my childhood memories have that noise? Come to think of it the folks there made interesting noises as they aged too.