Shift Cables

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dagen
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Shift Cables

Post by dagen »

My boat is a 1978 F30 with twin 318's. The port transmission takes a really hard push on the shifter from the bridge to move in and out of gear. From the lower station is is still slightly stiff but not as bad. The controls are the original Morse products. I know something needs to be replaced. There is probably a logical sequence to determine if the problem is the upper cable, the lower cable, the upper Morse control the lower Morse control, or a combination of any of these. I have tried lubricating the cables but that did not really help. I cant find any info on the controls so I have sprayed Silicone lubricating spray on them. If anyone has gone through this I would appreciate any advise on a troubleshooting sequence that would get me in the least trouble short of disconnecting everything. Thanks for any help.

Brian
Catawba Island, OH
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: Shift Cables

Post by bjanakos »

I had an issue with my port shift cable. Spraying silicone does very little because it only lubes the firs few inches. I found a solution on line to make a device to force oil all the way down the cable.

It was a 24" piece of tube (I think 3/8" ID), a schrader valve, a couple of hose clamp, a bicycle pump and some marvel mystery oil....

But I have seen something like this for motorcycles and have been wondering if it will work.
https://www.amazon.com/cable-oiler-lubr ... B009YEYL0I
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

cheap and easy to replace, the one I did last year was the upper cable that feed the lower helm which in turn fed the transmission. Done in under a hour.
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

K4282, what parts did you replace and source from where + cost.
F32 Fly 1975
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

i replaced the cable, thats about all there is to it, local marina measured the cable and ordered from Kellog Marine, West marine can do the same,if memory recalls $55 but could have been a little bit more
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I know what you are talking about them stiff shifters on the bridge. Try oil as it will seep down. This seems to work for me for most of the season. Someone told me to put oil in the disconnects which I have not done. If yours are like mine. Notice that the shifter cables are too long and are coiled on the floor or hanging from somewhere.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express