Installing Stern Thruster

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

comodave
Moderate User

Re: Installing Stern Thruster

Post by comodave »

We launched our boat last week. Left it in the slings while I rushed below to look for any leaks around the 8" hole that the thruster was installed into. No leaks. Have only used it a couple of times, but seems to work great. Looking forward to using it more, but first I have to finish fabricating a new enclosure for the sundeck. I have finished the new flybridge enclosure. Then I have to install a new AC and DC power panel. This winter we painted the flybridge and cabin sides with Quantum paint, painted the decks and sundeck hardtop with Kiwigrip, installed a hardtop on the flybridge with new enclosure, installed the stern thruster, did a lot of rewiring, rebuilt the swim platform, installed a new house battery bank and a lot of misc small projects. Glad it is in the water and we can relax a little bit. Next winter we will be painting the hull with Quantum paint. Incredibly easy to work with, you just roll it on. No tipping required and it flows out very well.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Glad to hear you liked the Quantum paint, as I have been thinking about using it on our boat for the flybridge. How smooth did it flow out? I have heard differing opinions on that. Everything else seems to be very good from others' observations.

What color(s) did you go with?
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

It flowed out quite well I think. Sure it isn't as smooth as a spray job, but it is so easy to use. We went with Pure White to match the Kiwigrip White as close as possible. Used Medium Gray for the accent stripe. The stripe has a handrail that is impossible to remove and the roller would not fit under the rail so we used their spray cans to do the stripe. Be careful about bleeding under the tape. We didn't have a bleeding problem using a spray can, but did get some bleed under the tape using the roller. Wiped the pain off with solvent and used just the spray cans.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan