10 meter international swim platform

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

MADSIERRA

10 meter international swim platform

Post by MADSIERRA »

I have removed My swim platform to rebuild as the inner wood was waterlogged and starting to rot. I was able to cut the bottom section with a circular cut off tool that was laminated to the wood all around the edge and remove in one piece. I then with a chisel and hammer removed all the rotted wood. after removing all wood i used a grinder w 80 grit to remove remaining wood and fiberglass resin so both the "Top" half of the platform and the "bottom" half are clean of any remaining glue, wood or resin.
It appeared as in was just plywood as the core and I would like to know what is the best product to replace it with? And does it need a wood core or can it just be filled with layer after layer of fiberglass resin and fiberglass mat? I want to make sure it is plenty strong enough to support standing on it ,but also don't want to have to do it again any time soon.
My Dad owned a auto body shop that I worked in for many years and we did work on a few corvettes so I have worked with fiberglass some but, this is my first swim platform that with need the strength it had and be completely sealed from the H2O.
Thanks in advance Eric
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 10 meter international swim platform

Post by prowlersfish »

You could use pure glass but it would be real heavy too heavy IMO, marine plywood would be good to use or maybe some other marine coring
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

My platform is made out of teak. If you want to make yours out of teak instead of rebuilding yours, I can post a picture for refference.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

I have the same project to do. I was planning on using Coosa Board. Spendy when compared marine plywood, but is 30% lighter than plywood and won't absorb water.

My F-32 is tail heavy enough with all the down riggers and fishing gear, so I like the weight savings, but I also like having a platform.

Link for materials http://www.boatoutfitters.com/coosa-com ... board.html
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

If you use just glass, it'll be really heavy by the time you get it thick enough to be structurally equal to having a core. The other thing you have to worry about is that if you don't know what you're doing, you can warp the platform with that much glass. As it cures, it will want to pull in certain directions. There are tricks of the trade to counteract that. You can brace specific key areas with a core and have solid glass in the rest. This will reduce some weight but at that point, you might as well just core the whole thing.

There are a few synthetic core materials on the market but I prefer using plywood. Some will use regular ply, I prefer marine grade as it's more structurally stable. Either way, the key is to ensure that when you fasten something to it, you must do it in a way that will PERMANENTLY prevent water from ever being able to get to the core. In spite of some claims, some synthetics will retain water.

Simply adding caulking to a hole and inserting a fastener will eventually fail over time and you'll end up with a wet core again. The best way to keep water out forever is to bolt through or screw into an epoxy plug instead of the wood. To do this, drill your hole out 2-3 times larger than the fastener, tape out the area around the hole, wet out the wood core in the hole with epoxy and let it soak into the wood for a few minutes. While it's curing, take the rest of the epoxy and thicken it to a peanut butter consistency. Before the epoxy in the hole cures, fill the hole with the thickened epoxy and let it cure. Now drill the plug to the correct size and insert the fastener. This way, you're drilling into the epoxy plug and fastening into it or through it instead of wood, and if it ever leaks, the wood never gets wet. The plug will also prevent you from collapsing the area and crushing the glass and core if you tighten the fastener too much. The alternative is to drill the fist hole to the same diameter as the fastener, dig out the core around the hole, then follow the steps above. You'll end up with a plug that extends into the core beyond just the diameter of the hole. I use this method when a bigger hole might not get covered by what I'm fastening.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
MADSIERRA

Post by MADSIERRA »

Thanks to all...going with the coosa board.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

If plywood is being used as a core, you can also soak it in a penetrating epoxy to make it much less susceptible to rotting.

I recently saw that Jamestown Distributors came out with their own line of epoxies including a penetrating one. They are marketed under the Total Boat brand name -- I have not used any yet, but am considering it.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Instead of replacing all the area that was wood, could you make an aluminum tube frame to put in the void. Glue it, bolt it or something.
It would be lighter!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Not familiar with the cooosa wood. However, make sure you have the area that you connect to the brackets is well supported. If this material is not as strong as wood or stronger, you can risk cracking the shell of the platform. I started from scratch on ours and used solid wood with foam filler and it has held up perfectly. Ditto on the full cored drill through connections to eliminate water intrusion. It is a pain, but well worth the effort.

Search 11 meter swim platform. It is on here somewhere step by step if interested.
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
10meterman

Post by 10meterman »

I have never done my swim platform,but when I replaced the wood in my radar arch,I used fiber board instead of wood so I'ld never have to do it again.I also used it under some of my upholstery,but not my seat bottoms ,I used marine grade plywood .