swim platform support

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

lasker

swim platform support

Post by lasker »

looking for support brackets for my 1979 321 swim platform ....they look teak wood ...looking thin ..need to replace..would like to keep original look
1979 321 Trojan
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: swim platform support

Post by captainmaniac »

I have a '79 F32 as well, with same setup. I believe supports are teak, 2"x2" I think, but length may vary slightly between all supports because of hull curvature and where supports were mounted. Ends are rounded, not just a 90 degree cut.

Even if all 5 supports can be considered the same length, where you need the bolt holes drilled will be very specific to your boat (driven by where lower mounts were installed at, and height platform was installed at, all done manually at the factory so subject to some variation ... every boat will be a bit different)

Short form : Don't think you can buy someone's old supports and blindly reuse....

When you say yours are 'thin', what do you mean? I have problems with pitting and losing antifouling on my outboard supports because (I believe) hot exhaust water hitting them under some pressure while running on plane... while inboard ones are out of water flow on plane, and only see 'cold' water temps when not on plane. Don't confuse pitting of layers of paint for thin / weak wood. If your support(s) have sections that are less than 1.5" in any dimension, then maybe be worried. Otherwise don't sweat it.

Worst case scenario, you use your original supports as a template to get proper length and required distance between bolt holes. Get some appropriately dimensioned teak, cut to the right lengths, and round the end edges (like original design) with a grinder or sander so they fit into the base at the transom and platform frame. Then just make sure you drill holes for the bolts at exactly the right distance, prime/paint, and you should be fine.

You could also do the same thing with a bunch of other materials; as long as you match up the length, shape, and positioning of holes, and the material has strength properties equal to or exceeding what the original had, you are safe. Paint whatever you use with the right primer and antifouling, and nobody will know.