Oil & Water Restoration Thread

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oil&water
Moderate User

Oil & Water Restoration Thread

Post by oil&water »

The last five weeks have been busy for us. It all started out as a phone call back in January to look at a few boats at the local marina to help get them moving on to new owners. Along the way, my wife fell in love with a boat, my father's eyes twinkled for another Father-Son boat project, and frankly I couldn't imagine some of the boats being torn up for scrap if they didn't find new owners. After two weekends of me crawling through bilges, sounding decks, surveying systems, and checking stringers we came to the conclusion it is possible to bring a few of them back from the bone yard if I could find the right buyers.

As some of you know, along the way one in particular caught my wife's attention. Of course a different one caught mine. This is where a few weeks of badgering by the wife may have paid off in the end to her favor. After some not so gentle persuasion by her and my father, my mind was made up and away we went on to start our F36 Convertible project.

Where to start, I guess from where we are currently to the top priority repairs...

1973 Trojan F36 Convertible with Master and Bunk Staterooms. Partial remodel in late 80's / early 90's.

Repowered with twin 1988 Chrysler M460's with 1.91:1 Velvet 72C's. Port is standard rotation and starboard is reverse rotation. Velvet 1.91:1 reverse the coupler output so props spin correctly. 20" x 20" props with 1-3/8" shafts. Rudders horribly small for props.

Updated Kohler 6.5kW genset, Cruiseair 16k BTU A/C, Hydranautic dual helm steering package, and fresh water system.

Various patches made by PO to the systems onboard. These could potentially cause me numerous headaches down the road if I don't make the repairs before she hits the water.

Major repairs

1) Strip interior headliner due to water leaking in from screws around forward hatches.
2) Seal the three forward hatches to stop water ingress.
3) Determine cause of starboard engine not turning over by hand (previous owner had overheat issue on this engine)
4) Replace stern cockpit teak deck.
5) Replace core around three forward hatches.
6) Remove recycling head and replace with current generation head and MSD system.
7) Preventive Maintenance on port engine and both transmissions
8) Pump and clean both fuel tanks
9) Replace three batteries and associated cables. Repair / replace any other 12V system cables that are suspect from PO replacement
10) Repair / Replace 120VAC system. Preventive Maintenance on Genset.
11) Make patches to existing systems as issues arrive
12) Repair port stringer at transom (one foot of damage)
13) Replace thru hulls
14) Clean running gear, sand and paint bottom, compound and wax top sides.
15) Replace Bimini and Bridge enclosure
16) Update electronics

This list was made based on initial assessment visits. Of course Mother Nature threw in a whole slew of curve balls with this weather we are experiencing.

My list order has been modified somewhat.

To date, I have accomplished:
1) Wife said remove old head and begin stripping of headliner. I heard rip everything out all the way to the fiberglass. Found foredeck was slightly better than thought. Have three areas that will require core repair. Stripped second wallpaper application off walls. Need to soak and strip original wallpaper off walls. Demolition of cabin mostly complete.

Mid-way through tear out

2) Determine cause of starboard engine lock up. Have disassembled starboard engine down to the block. Found two bent push rods, both exhaust, one on cylinder three and one on cylinder seven. Pistons are currently stuck due to What i currently believe is just surface rust on cylinder walls. Head gasket looks good; no blow by. Heads on the way to the machine shop for Magnaflux, cleaning, and valve job.

3) Started digging through the rest of the boat to identify problem systems. Need to address D.C. System sooner than later. Same for A.C. System. Fresh water system not looking too shabby. Needs some attention.

4) Found macerator and Y-Valve under forward V-berth. Macerator literally just sitting on hull with no fasteners. Y-valve hose connections can be pulled off. Fortunately, the PO drained the system and through the miracle of science, evaporation took care of the rest. Entire head and plumbing removed. Took the liberty of stripping the rest of the "Library" for complete refit.

5) Discovered the hull portals are actually just blocks of wood with Plexiglass laminated to them. Very excited about this find as the window trim is in rather bad shape. Will add to list to repair and replace.

6) Found PO has used the standard green water hose to connect the shower drain to the diaphragm pump. They continued that thought process with white garden hose to the thru hull. Add plumbing repair / replacement to the list.

7) Found PO has installed Dometic raw water pump for forward A/C under the stairs. Due to difference in original vs replacement pump, a 90 degree galvanized elbow was installed on the plastic output tube. Of course it sits higher than the floor, so that explains why the floor hatch at the stairs rocks back and forth. Add adjustment, relocation, and repair to list.

8) Found steering system was upgraded with dual helm Hydranautic system. System under pressure and working properly. Finally something that doesn't need my immediate attention.

9) Cockpit deck is plywood underlayment with teak veneer over top. Structural supports in good shape. Just a wood floor replacement. Phew.

10) Add complete fuel system plumbing replacement to list. Most is original. Copper lines in good condition. Hoses shot.

As soon as I have the chance to upload photos to web and hyper link them, I will add to the appropriate topics.

Hoping the weather is decent this weekend. I really need to seal the forward hatches.
Last edited by oil&water on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Currently Trojan-less :?
oil&water
Moderate User

Re: Oil & Water Restoration Thread

Post by oil&water »

Note to self... an 8 with a ) behind it equals 8)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Kind of reminds me of how I got my F30 ( at the same marina lol)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

oil&water wrote:Note to self... an 8 with a ) behind it equals 8)
Pretty funny how that worked out to be the one item that did not need work!
oil&water wrote:12) Repair port stringer at transom (one foot of damage)
I found this very interesting. The only structural problem with the hull, stingers and bulkheads on WayWeGo is identical. Is this common on the F-36 and if so, has anyone determined the cause?

Thanks for starting this thread -- I will certainly be following your efforts.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

WayWeGo wrote:
oil&water wrote:Note to self... an 8 with a ) behind it equals 8)
Pretty funny how that worked out to be the one item that did not need work!
oil&water wrote:12) Repair port stringer at transom (one foot of damage)
I found this very interesting. The only structural problem with the hull, stingers and bulkheads on WayWeGo is identical. Is this common on the F-36 and if so, has anyone determined the cause?

Thanks for starting this thread -- I will certainly be following your efforts.
That is funny, I never noticed before you pointed it out.

You are welcome. I'm hoping it will be helpful down the road!
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

prowlersfish wrote:Kind of reminds me of how I got my F30 ( at the same marina lol)

It's one of the few that still has a strong sense of family and self maintenance. I hope they stay around for a long time.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Amen to that
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

mine had wire nuts holding the bilge pump wires together

NOT KIDDING HERE !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

RWS wrote:mine had wire nuts holding the bilge pump wires together

NOT KIDDING HERE !

RWS
Now that's a new one! Hopefully I don't come across that one.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

RWS wrote:mine had wire nuts holding the bilge pump wires together

RWS
Mine had a wire nut connecting three pieces of electronics to one ground wire. You never know what you are going to find when you start opening these things up.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Very interested in your rebuild.
There's going to be pictures right...where are the pictures........WE NEED PICTURES!
Just kidding

I'm well into a rebuild as well, and sometimes I need to see some one else's misery to feel better about myself :lol:

Good luck with it
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Pics are coming Barrie, I promise. Have over 140 pictures so far. Just need to remember to bring the iPad to work. My home Internet connection is terrible.
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Barrie wrote:There's going to be pictures right...where are the pictures........WE NEED PICTURES!
Alright, finally got time and decent Internet to post some pics. Posted in the original post up top!

If the weather will ever stabilize, I'll be able to clean her.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

A little worse then the last time I was on board :(
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

prowlersfish wrote:A little worse then the last time I was on board :(
Time in weather and no use is not kind to these old souls.

We are going to try and strip the forward stateroom wall boards of their original wall paper. If we figure this out successfully, we are home free on the interior tear out.

The cylinders have been sitting in PB Blaster all week. We tried breaking them loose tonight with very little success. I loaded it with AeroKroil this evening and hoping for better results tomorrow. Otherwise, the torch will be the tool of choice.