Oil & Water Restoration Thread

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

Re: Oil & Water Restoration Thread

Post by Paul »

oil&water wrote:I think this photo sums up what challenges I face with this project! When you don't have a clue, just grab a couple of fittings and a garden hose at the local hardware store!

Nothing solves an electrical problem like cheap tape and butt splice connectors.

Looks like you've really got some work cut out for you. Looking a the above picture I can see a definite waterline mark on the plastic tubes and about 3/4 of the way up the stringers. I would be checking the stringers for rot first thing because if they require replacement or repair, it would be the first job that you'll want to kick off.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
GrumpyDuck

Post by GrumpyDuck »

Yikes! This stuff makes you wonder sometimes. Thanks for sharing the photos!
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Paul wrote:
oil&water wrote:I think this photo sums up what challenges I face with this project! When you don't have a clue, just grab a couple of fittings and a garden hose at the local hardware store!

Nothing solves an electrical problem like cheap tape and butt splice connectors.

Looks like you've really got some work cut out for you. Looking a the above picture I can see a definite waterline mark on the plastic tubes and about 3/4 of the way up the stringers. I would be checking the stringers for rot first thing because if they require replacement or repair, it would be the first job that you'll want to kick off.

The stringers checked out A-Okay. I've got a spot near the transom on one that needs attention, but that is the only area I have located.
Currently Trojan-less :?
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Had a buddy come down yesterday and check out the engine block on the previously seized engine. Two thumbs up was his opinion. Will change the oil, check for shavings and move on to putting it back together.

Also started on the task of removing the rear deck. Seems Trojan's carpenters used whatever wood was left laying around for the deck assembly. At least four different types over all. Also saw some design issues that contributed to the deck becoming water logged and soft in the first place, particularly near the stern. Will load the pics up tonight to share the progress.

Today's chores involve finishing up a couple of items pertaining to the rear deck, removing the front hatches and sealing them, and hopefully if time permits, pressure washing.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You may want to consider f/glassing the rear deck
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

prowlersfish wrote:You may want to consider f/glassing the rear deck
That's the plan. I love the look of the teak, but the wife loves the convenience of no maintenance.
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

oil&water wrote:Seems Trojan's carpenters used whatever wood was left laying around for the deck assembly. At least four different types over all.
Well I guess I suck at wood identification. My father looked at it and said it's all red oak. My uncle said it would have been used for its strength.

Guess I need to stick to non-wood materials. :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

oil&water wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:You may want to consider f/glassing the rear deck
That's the plan. I love the look of the teak, but the wife loves the convenience of no maintenance.
If our teak deck was not still looking good, I would be going with fiberglass myself. For now, we are sticking with the high maintenance teak covered plywood.

I will be thinking of you guys while slaving over that teak! :roll:
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Time for update pics!

Cockpit port side, post plywood removal:

The end result after some clean-up:

Forward hatches out and being prepped:

Took several hours to clean them up and prepare them for re-bedding. I have no idea what type of sealant was used on them last time, but it was a bear to remove. A PO also used standard metal wood screws instead of stainless. I had a tough time getting several of them out.

Tomorrow we will bed the hatches, remove the remainder of the floor, and a few other odds and ends if time permits.

Added to the list of items to accomplish...
New exhaust hose, new tubes for trim tab system, genset fuel line, genset raw water hose, get the rudders freed up, and patch up some rotten wood on the stern floor support. I was also able to vacuum up the strut backers. So, that pretty much sums up replacements for those as well.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Looks like you are moving right along!

The genset appears to be fairly new and in good shape. That is a big plus.

I am curious about which of the stringers needs repair. The port outboard one looks to be rough in the area where the backer board for the strut is. On our boat, it is the port inboard stringer right up against the transom that is in need of repair. It is only the aft most foot that is damaged. Not sure what caused it to rot next to the transom as rest of the stringers look good, at least what we were able to access with the deck in place. Also, the fiber glassed shelf along the transom that supports the deck is rotten under the hatch, but appears to be OK as you move outward. I am guessing that it had some holes that allowed water to enter when it leaked past the hatch.

Keep up the good work!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Way, the port outboard stringer is okay. The saw blade must have been dull when they notched it. The port inboard stringer is soft about a foot forward of the transom. It looks like the board securing the rudder post allowed leakage into the inner wood and the rest was history. I would imagine there is a large amount of force exerted on that area due to rudder movement. My rudders are fairly well stuck and i have been able to witness the sheer force presented by the hydraulic steering when it is pushing or pulling the steering arm. That probably explains the cracking on top of that stringer also.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Stopped by today by I guess you had gone to lunch
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

oil&water wrote: The port inboard stringer is soft about a foot forward of the transom. It looks like the board securing the rudder post allowed leakage into the inner wood and the rest was history. I would imagine there is a large amount of force exerted on that area due to rudder movement.
One of my tasks this spring is to install an autopilot linear drive and I will be repairing the rotten wood at the same time. I'll try to remember to report on what I discover.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Wow! great progress.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

prowlersfish wrote:Stopped by today by I guess you had gone to lunch
If it was between 1:30 and 3:15, yes, we were fortunate to get everyone together for a quick feast. Otherwise we were there most of the day.