1972 F-36 Salon window leaks

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fdean396

1972 F-36 Salon window leaks

Post by fdean396 »

I have have been experiencing window leaks during heavy rains in Seattle where it always seems to rain! The water seems to be coming in at the end of the sliding window portion of the frames. I also just noticed there's a gap at the lower end tip of the forward salon windows which I've never seen before and wondering if that's where the water is coming in? That portion of the windows are plexi glass while the rest of the salon Windows are glass. Is this normal or could the forward portion of the Windows have been replaced?

My window frames are showing their age and there's some exterior frame rust bubbling under the paint. If I can't resolve the leaking issue I'm wondering if it might be time to replace all the windows and the frames? My windows have the old H channel which would seem to be very succeptible to leaking issues.

Has anyone found a good remedy for similar leaks? My window glass is also showings it age and there are some chips at the end of the sliding Windows and wondering if it just might be better to replace the Windows and frames and be done with the whole issue. The leak last week fried my stereo system and there's never been a leak in that area before. If anyone's replaced the salon Windows and frames how much did it cost to do so.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Frank
Plan B
Plan B
1972 - F36
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1972 F-36 Salon window leaks

Post by prowlersfish »

Perhaps that Plexiglas was cut wrong as its not what the boat came with . There also should be drains on the out side of the frames

I assume this is a sedan/convertible not a tricabin ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

I noticed some leaks around my sliding glass windows today. I plan on investigating further next weekend when the temps are up and the rain will hopefully hold off.

Please post if you discover the source of your issues. I will do the same if I solve it first.
Currently Trojan-less :?
fdean396

Post by fdean396 »

The boat is a sedan convertible.

There are also drain holes in the window frames.

The window frames are not in terrible shape but they do have a few spots of surface rust. It would be great if they could be repaired, painted and then have new windows installed.

If I install new windows are their window track options other than H track if I repair a my current window frames and install new glass sliding windows

Plan B
Plan B
1972 - F36
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Lots of potential entry points, and the worst part is the nature of water... where it is coming in, and where you see it coming out, could be several feet apart...

As an example, I have an occasional leak where I think water is getting in through a caulked seam (that may shrink over time) or a fastener, and running through a void in the fibreglass layup, to eventually drip at the aft end of my salon (port side). When I recaulk the front half of the window frame on that side (at last 3' away from where I see the drips), the leak stops for a few years...

Another potential is build up of crud in the window frames that are not allowing them to drain. You have seen the drain holes, but if there is enough gunk in the frames the water may not make it to those drain holes before the track overflows.

The plexi is not original.

Don't know if any pictures of where you see the water coming in and any other relevant shots of the condition of the frames or windows/plexi panels may help others give any more accurate advice...
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I posted this a while ago about my window leaks 1977 Tri Fly.
It has sliders as well
The "F" channels (they are called that by some suppliers) I don't think do anything to keep water from getting into the interior, they just separate the glass.
Mine didn't even run end to end completely, top or bottom.
I replaced mine with double "u" shaped felt,rubber, steel channels. the windows slide almost silently.

The key, I believe is to get the extruded aluminum bottom window frames completely sealed to the sides (uprights).
If the bottom corner (pictured) is cracked, or the interior leg is not sealed (bottom to upright) It will drip, drip, drip.
Mine had the drain slots, but they were about 3/16" up from the bottom of the base channel, so water would lay in the bottom channel and leak out the corners

......Sorry I can't help with the hose question, but on the windows, I posted this in another thread and it may apply here

((I'm not sure if your window frames are the same as My 1977 Tri Fly. I had extensive damage in the wood below the window corners.
I removed the frames (and everything else) and can tell you that even if they are sealed to the exterior of the boat. they can still let plenty of water in.
The frames are kinda a "H" shape and welded at the corners, only welded on the horizontal section of the H<. A little sealer was on the vertical sides (flanges) but this is where it was leaking.
Water hits the windows, runs into the tracks and then runs out the corners both in side the boat and outside. If the drain slot on the outside of the window frame is restricted in any way = problem x10

The best solution I could see was be sure the frames are welded on both the vertical and horizontal water tight or add sealer to the frame corners.

In this picture you can see the frames with the drain slot far right. The next frame to the left you can see the inside corner that if not sealed will leak
This is the little factory weld, just on the horizontal part of the frame
This is a rear window, but the damage was all the same

Hope this helps
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
fdean396

Post by fdean396 »

Thanks you everyone for all the information, I will take pictures and post. I think the previous owner pulled out some of the H channel and other window sealing components for the vertical and horizontal tracks so I'm not sure what should be there and have no idea as to what is might be missing. Does anyone have pictures of their window frames and what is installed to seal their windows and frames that they could post?
Plan B
1972 - F36
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Frank. Just my $0.02 but it has been stated a couple times in this thread already that their are drains on the outside of the window frame. On our F36, they were aft, a series of 3/16" holes drilled into the aluminum at the bottom of the frame. We owned the boat for over 10 years and the first three I had terrible leaks. It was frustrating, I took out the windows, replaced the "H" channels and had everthing fine, and then a month later the leaks would be back. After going nuts the first few years, I found that the fix was simple. In our area in MN, we have cottonwood trees that line the river where we keep our boat. The tracks would get the cotton fluff in the track and it didn't take much to cause caplilary action to take the water up and over the frame causing a leak. Once I figured out that i should wash out the track 2-3 times a summer, the leaks were gone. I actually made a little attachment that would reduce down my dock hose down to a small rubber tube that I used to flush out the track.

I hope you find this is the case with yours.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

LandVF36 wrote: drains on the outside of the window frame. On our F36, they were aft, a series of 3/16" holes drilled into the aluminum at the bottom of the frame
I think those 3/16" holes are for screws (to be used as set-screws) to press against the h-channel and keep a window panel from sliding... at least that's how a couple of them were being used on my F32 when I bought it. The normal drains are wider slots like you can see in the at the lower right end of the frame in the picture Barrie posted above.
fdean396

Post by fdean396 »

Greatly appreciate everyone's comments. I have photos and will post. Does anyone have pictures of the window frame tracking for their boat that has similar photos to mine so I can get an idea of what the H channel and other window track fittings should look like?

Also there are a a few small quarter size exterior rust spots on my paint aluminum frames. Any solutions to remove the rust?
Plan B
1972 - F36
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I assume you found the link purchase the h-channel from Beacon, at https://www.trojanboats.net/zencart/ind ... cts_id=199

Not sure what kind of pics you are looking for .. I have H channel at top and bottom of each slider, forward edge of forward slider and aft edge of aft slider, of each pair of windows (4 pairs), if that helps...
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

If interested I have new h channel I purchased for my f boat I ended up selling the boat so never installed it would like to sell at a good price if your interested pm me.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
36 Tri

Post by 36 Tri »

I order new window channels for my 1970 36 Tri.

http://www.beckson.com/channel.html
webch800.jpg
webch800.jpg (70.62 KiB) Viewed 8880 times
IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1765.JPG (60.57 KiB) Viewed 8880 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I prefer to support the site sponsor my self . But That's just me
Boating is good for the soul