Depth and 360 degree imaging below surface F36 tricabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

baggins

Re: Depth and 360 degree imaging below surface F36 tricabin

Post by baggins »

Garmin does not have a transducer that is through hull and that is also capable of 3D.

I have not tried mine from inside the hull and it would have to be facing forward. It's a good point though i might see if i can put it in a bag of water up in the front and see if i get anything out of it at all.
baggins

Post by baggins »

I tried the pantronix through the hull and got nothing.

I actually ended up running out of time. Finally jimmied together a pole and fastened it to the center support for the rear platform at a slight angle that extended just below the transom and and even upto 10 knots produced excellent results. I ran like this all the way home 400+ miles and two weeks.

When i pull the boat i will do something more permanent and get the transducer inline or before the props.

I am also using my Hummingbird and as a second chart plotter for verification which came in handy several times.

The Garmin Helm app also worked great so i display the garmin screen on my 18" tablet. I also installed a NoLand RS11 to convert the analog gauges to digital and ran a dashboard ap on a second tablet. The dash is really coming along.

I will create a dedicated thread for the new dashboard and post the reference here once its up.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I'm probably a bit late, but did see an add in a magazine about a week ago for forward scanning sonar, good to 300' forward distance (and recommended for speeds under 10 knots). Gotta find it again and will post the details when I do.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

baggins wrote:I also installed a NoLand RS11 to convert the analog gauges to digital and ran a dashboard ap on a second tablet. The dash is really coming along.

I will create a dedicated thread for the new dashboard and post the reference here once its up.
I am interested in seeing this because I will probably work on digital gauges using NMEA 2000 this summer or fall.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

I'd love to see some pics of what the NoLand RS11 does. Converting analog signals to canbus seems interesting to me. I didnt even realize this was a possibility! What are these 18" tablets you're using? We need pics!
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Maretron and Actisesne also have products that convert analog to digital and transmit over a NMEA bus.

I may try to roll my own using an Arduino module. The biggest issue I am running into (besides finding the time) is access to the NMEA spec without having to buy it.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
baggins

Post by baggins »

Hi Guys,

its been crazy since we landed. The entire trip went well. below is an update on the items mentioned in the post.

1. I never did the get the panoptixs mounted on the hull. we got so busy with everything else. I did build a make shift mount that ran down from the swim platform mounts which put the transducer about 6" below the bottom of the transom. We did not go over 14 knots the whole trip and it worked well. Picking up weeds was an issue but then that would happen no matter what. surprising think was that it did not seem two affected by prop wash.

2. I got the RS11 working on windows and linux. The dash boarding tool for windows is not great but does work. I am going to setup a new thread fot this as i have tunes of info , i have not got it all working as i want yet but the entire solution will run on raspberry PI's and use influxDB, MQTT and grafana for storage, transport and GUI respectively as i already have tones of experience with all three.

3. I never did get very fluent with the garmin for navigation and ended up using the 18" tablets for navicon and using cell as the internet access, not the best but it worked well.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

I can't wait to see your thread on the digital dash project, and I hope you don't wait to complete it before posting. Anything you tell us will be useful!

For instance, the RS11 has two tach inputs and six analog ones. Which gauges did you monitor? How was the configuration process?
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
baggins

Post by baggins »

I just posted a new topic called: Digital Dash and automation on Trojan F36 tri-fly

i will post the progress and how-to's there.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Excellent -- thanks!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

They have something for that. It's called "seamanship". Your local Power Squadrons course can give you the lowdown on navigation.