Modern engine upgrades?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wetbuoy

Modern engine upgrades?

Post by wetbuoy »

I still love my 1980 F28, but...maintaining these thirsty 305s gets me to wonder about the sense or even the possibility of replacing them with newer motors. Something like a pair of late model automotive 4.3l injected V6s for example. I'm sure I could get even more than my existing 228 hp from a newer V6 but not sure how to find out about joining up with the velvet drives and exhaust manifolds etc. Anyone have any recommendations or warnings?
Thanks,
Steve Barlow
1980 F28 flybridge
2x 305 Mercruiser
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Modern engine upgrades?

Post by The Dog House »

Fuel injected Chevy 350s would use less fuel and be a direct replacement. The Volvo 5.7GSi in my last boat burned 6 gph at 3000 rpm.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

wetbuoy wrote:I still love my 1980 F28, but...maintaining these thirsty 305s gets me to wonder about the sense or even the possibility of replacing them with newer motors. Something like a pair of late model automotive 4.3l injected V6s for example. I'm sure I could get even more than my existing 228 hp from a newer V6 but not sure how to find out about joining up with the velvet drives and exhaust manifolds etc. Anyone have any recommendations or warnings?
Thanks,
Steve Barlow
If you want to up grade to a 4.3 EFI go with a marine 4.3 EFI or 305/350 EFI . The automotive EFI where not calibrated form marine used in some cases different sensors used or not used in marine . Its been done and they never run right .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

And any new engine sold as complete requires emission controls. Unless Trump already fired that branch of the EPA......
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

P-Dogg wrote:And any new engine sold as complete requires emission controls. Unless Trump already fired that branch of the EPA......
Don't wanna derail, but jut have to say........ OOOOOO -- the first Trump shot I think I have seen on the forum yet! I was expecting one <bleep> of a firestorm leading up to the election, but eventually figured people were just too scared to say anything! (or the Moderator deleted a hundred posts a day???)
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I just tell the truth man.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Good riddance EPA in my opinion. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

larryeddington wrote:Good riddance EPA in my opinion. :D
Lets not start the fights now... or at least take it to Pontifications!
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

captainmaniac wrote:
P-Dogg wrote:And any new engine sold as complete requires emission controls. Unless Trump already fired that branch of the EPA......
Don't wanna derail, but jut have to say........ OOOOOO -- the first Trump shot I think I have seen on the forum yet! I was expecting one <bleep> of a firestorm leading up to the election, but eventually figured people were just too scared to say anything! (or the Moderator deleted a hundred posts a day???)

Only a few hundred :D . Honestly it has not been a issue and hopefully will stay that way . Now when it comes to the sneaker spammers that's a different story . Enough said back to BOATING !!

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
wetbuoy

Post by wetbuoy »

Thanks for the inputs everybody. The 350s are out for sure. I thought of 4.3 only because a well known V6 might be more saleable in today's markets. Good point about EPA regulations though I likely wouldn't buy new ones. Will check the engine vendors for now. Thanks all, Captain Steve
1980 F28 flybridge
2x 305 Mercruiser
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

wetbuoy wrote:Thanks for the inputs everybody. The 350s are out for sure. I thought of 4.3 only because a well known V6 might be more saleable in today's markets. Good point about EPA regulations though I likely wouldn't buy new ones. Will check the engine vendors for now. Thanks all, Captain Steve
Why are 350s out ? they have the same foot print . As far as fuel burn at the same speed the 4.3 /5.0 (305)/5.7 (350) will all burn about the same amount of fuel .

Lets say your single engine boat burns 10 gals a hour at 20 knots with a 4.3 the same boat with a 5.7 will burn about the same at 20 knots . There could be a slight difference ether way but it won't be much . This is assuming all have the same fuel system
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Rickplumber

Post by Rickplumber »

I have done about all the research on engines that can be done on a f32 and found the pcm zr6 which is a 6.0, 390 hp 490 ft lb combo at $12,000.00 with transmissions to be a perfect setup. It will run all out at 5200 rpm full gear and 300 gal of fuel 37 mph gps. I do not have fuel meters so I cannot tell you a true fuel consumption bu I ca tell you that we go out and ride all weekend on 50 gal, we try to run under 3000 rpm.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

How many hours/miles do you get out of the 50 gal ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

I think if you put V6's in the boat your resale value will really suffer! I have a F28 now and the previous owner replaced the old Chrysler 318's with Crusaders 350's and they perform well
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International