1959 SkiBee Q's

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lewis9781

1959 SkiBee Q's

Post by Lewis9781 »

Hi, I am the latest owner of a '59 SkiBee project boat. Restoring a wooden boat has been a dream of mine for many years. I have some mysteries that I hope someone can help me with. The engine (Ford 292) had been disassembled and the heads, crank and cam were re-built. That part I am good with (I also own a '56 Ford F-100 :) ).

The transmission, a Capitol with reverse, looks like it has been years since it was used, so I don't know if this is the original for the boat, or how it connects to the engine. There seems to be something missing that would fit between the flywheel and the input of the transmission.

I don't know what the correct exhaust components should look like. I have the marine manifolds, but everything else is galvanized pipe fittings threaded together! Not too pretty!

The rudder is missing, too. Can someone send a pic and/or dimensions of a correct rudder for this type of boat, so I can shop for another and know what to look for?

I look forward to any and all ideas and suggestions.
Lewis
1959 Ski Bee
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Lewis,

I'll go out and take a pick of mine this afternoon. No digital camera, though, so I'll have to scan and e-mail it. It's the first shot on a roll of 24, so I'll need to take a lot of pics of the cats and stuff or it won't get developed til winter or later. :)
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Lewis,

I e-mailed you the photos of the prop and rudder. Hope you got 'em.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Did you ever get it restored? I am wanting to find just such a project boat and am interested in how it turned out.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

I agree. I should take another pic of my prop for you. it's Soooo pretty. Had it all spiffed up at Lance's Prop Shop in Forest Lake, and I don't mind putting in a "plug" for him here (pun intended).

Seriously, these old ski tows are very tough and surprisingly forgiving of amateur restoration efforts--except for the engines, which are for serious gear-heads only.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"