new trojan owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

1958seabee

new trojan owner

Post by 1958seabee »

hello everyone,
i just purchased my first real boat! going against the advise of just about everyone i know, i picked up a wood boat. he is a good friend of the family and i have been in love with this boat since i was about 8 years old. well he finally gave me a call and said he was getting to old to take care of her so it was time to pass it on. i have very very little info on this boat except for title and markings all say 1958 trojan SEA BEE. its a beautiful boat that does need a little TLC. but i just love the way they sound and look on the water. any help and advise would be greatly welcomed!! i plan on doing plenty of wood work this winter on her and cant wait to put her in again in the spring!! motor runs great and seems to be strong. thanks alot

Daniel
Lewis9781

Post by Lewis9781 »

Daniel,

I bought a Trojan Ski Bee earlier this year. I was told by the previous owner that it was a 1959 model. Mine is a complete project, with LOTS of sanding and refinishing ahead. The interior will be a complete re-do. It has a vintage Ford 292 V-8 for power. I am not sure I have the correct motor mounts, or even the right transmission for that matter. A Capitol reverse gear came with the boat, but I think there are some parts missing from it.

If you can, would you e-mail some images of your engine, transmission and rudder? I need some clues as to what I should have in my boat.

I can't wait to hear it rumble on the water when I get it done!

Lewis
Lewis
1959 Ski Bee
1958seabee

1959 trojan

Post by 1958seabee »

hello lewis,

well congrats are in order i suppose for the purchase of a wooden boat! i honestly dont have much info on even my boat.. but i did manage to pick up an original sales booklet from the factory for 1958 so maybe on is available for 59 as well, i also have to original engine maintenance book, it has quite a bit of useful info in it, i would love to help ya out any way that i can. my 58 has a 312 interceptor in it but i has a spare 292 with trans that supposedly came out of a 1960 trojan.... let me know what i can do for pictures for ya or where to send them..

my email is dguise@mchsi.com for any questions you or anyone has!
lol, and im sure i could have a whole list of my own!
Lewis9781

Post by Lewis9781 »

I have no idea what the original engine installation looked like in my SkiBee. I have a disassembled 292, and a bunch of loose parts. Some look like motor mounts, some are coolant parts. I have the water-cooled manifolds to go with the engine. I'd like to see some photos that show the front and back of the engine in the boat, water pumps, hoses, and transmission. I do not have a rudder, just the stuffing box. I would like to see an example of what others have on their boats, so I know what to look for as a replacement.

Here is where I will be starting from when its time to put the engine back in. A picture is worth a thousand words...

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn67 ... inebed.jpg
Lewis
1959 Ski Bee
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Not to worry. That looks very familiar! What you're looking at is the cradle between the two main stringers (solid white oak) and the hi-tech "engine mounts"-- which screw directly into that stringer. Mine are "cushioned" by a completely flattened little piece of rubber that goes between the mount and the engine. Yours look a little more substantial the way they wrap around the stringers. I think each of these boats was more or less "experimental" and the hardware varies,

The engine is attached to the mounts via solid steel bars. She vibrates a little.

Also visible is the prop drive shaft. These have a flexible coupling that goes between the transmission output and the solid-mounted brass shaft. The coupling has two big packing nuts to keep tightened. Other than that, I don't even want to know what goes on inside there as long as it transmits power to the prop somehow.

Also, laying next to the shaft, I believe you have a piece of rubber exhaust hose. These hoses go from the backs of the manifolds to the two big galvanized pipes that shoot directly out the back of the transom. Mufflers? Ha!

Moving forward, just behind the bulkhead or seat, I see unmistakably the main water line that attaches to a through-hull fitting and to the water pump. Think for a minute. If this hose breaks you going to have a 2" hole gushing water into the boat. The hose threads right between the "fan belt" (really a water pump belt) and if the belt breaks it could cut the hose. Two things to keep a careful eye on are the condition of that belt and that hose The previous owner of your boat put a very useful shutoff spigot on the through-hull fitting.

I do believe the copper line is the gas line, which goes all the way to the front of the engine on my boat and is attached to a mispositioned electric fuel pump. Problem is, there is hardly anywhere else to put one. If you can, get a "puller" pump it would be more suited to up-front mounting.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)
Hardcore

Post by Hardcore »

Bump
Kayak Killer
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Hey Lewis,

I just remembered I owe you a pic of the prop/rudder assembly. Sorry it slipped my mind.

I hope you received the other photos I had scanned that show the engine in its mounts and the trans or drive unit. I should go over the whole boat and just really get some detailed pics. I'm trying to burn up my 35mm film anyway. To tell the truth, though, I haven't gotten the boat uncovered all summer! It's been one thing or another. Basically, once it's out, it sits in the driveway and I don't know how my tenants and neighbors feel about that, so I keep putting it off.

How far are you into it now? If there's one thing I'd do over on mine, it would be to get the gas tank "boiled out" and maybe coated inside while i had it out. You could also probably get a poly tank to fit, but it would be MUCH lighter than the original and might affect handling. But who knows, it might make it better. But whatever you do, the time to pull the tank is when you've got everything in back torn out, including the frame for the back seat.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)