Runabout Owners List

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Runabouts.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Runabout Owners List

Post by 61SkiBee »

Hello to all the faithful Trojan Runabout Owners!

It looks like we got our own forum and everything!

Here is a list compiled over the last year of owners:

Steve:
12' 1953 Sea Queen Deluxe w 15 hp 1954 Evinrude

Bill:
1960 Ski Bee w Ford 289

Don:
14' 1953

Buddy:
15' 1958 w Johnson 50 hp

Guy:
17' 1961 Ski Bee w Ford 292

Sean:
1955 Sea Queen, original 35 hp Evinrude Lark

Paul:
16’ Sea Queen (?) w Evinrude 50 hp 4 cyl.

George:
1957 Ski Bee (running) 1956 and 1958 Ski Bees (restoring)

Dave:
15 ft Trojan sea queen and trailer
Hull painted Red and White
Deck......teak, stained mahogany (soon to be)
Current engine...1996 25HP evenrude
Been in the family since 1960
Date of boat 1956
Location...Baldwin, NY

(New November 1, 2010)
Jacob:
I've got a 1955 14' runabout w/ 1955 Evinrude 25hp outboard.

Welcome Aboard!
Let's get together re our experiences!

http://picture.vzw.com/pri/gallery/mess ... =1&slide=1
Last edited by 61SkiBee on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
'61 SkiBee, 17' Inboard Runabout ski tow
Ford 292 Interceptor (pictured)
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

Hello,
I'm New.

I have a 1956 15' sea queen.
I'm looking for info on restoring it.
Thanks
Dave
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Welcome, Dave. Nice to hear from another Runabout owner. What's the condition of your Sea Queen? Have you had it in the water since you got it? Do you have vintage power for it? Let me know if you want to be listed in the Runabout Owners Group here on the site or in the e-mail ring. There are a few Sea Queen owners there, as you can see.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

61SkiBee wrote:Welcome, Dave. Nice to hear from another Runabout owner. What's the condition of your Sea Queen? Have you had it in the water since you got it? Do you have vintage power for it? Let me know if you want to be listed in the Runabout Owners Group here on the site or in the e-mail ring. There are a few Sea Queen owners there, as you can see.
Well, I've spent about 50 hours sanding and chauking it...its almost ready for the stain. I've matched the stain color to interlux cc red mahogany 573. The boat is no where ready for use in the water...my dopey sister left it out in the weather for 4 years. The boat has a 25HP evenrude (1996), but I do have a line on a 1956 johnson. Please post me to the runabout group and ring.
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Oh, yeah, sanding and caulking. Welcome to the world of restoring wooden boats. They do pay off by looking great, and once the hard stuff is done, it's surprisingly easy to keep them looking good. A mooring cover really helps maintain your work, even if the boat sits outside. I like to go with treated canvas, because it lets all that wood breathe.

Good luck on that vintage Johnson! Sounds very interesting.

Shoot me an e-mail with your boat's description as you'd like it listed, and I'll get it on the Runabout Owner's List and include you in the e-mail group.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not ready to get in the water yet either. Das Boot needs a thourough mechanical checkup, especially fuel filters. And a really good CLEANING!

It sure is funny how much time you have to put in all by yourself preparing a boat, and then how many people show up when it's ready to put in the water. :shock: :!:
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

61SkiBee wrote:Oh, yeah, sanding and caulking. Welcome to the world of restoring wooden boats. They do pay off by looking great, and once the hard stuff is done, it's surprisingly easy to keep them looking good. A mooring cover really helps maintain your work, even if the boat sits outside. I like to go with treated canvas, because it lets all that wood breathe.

Good luck on that vintage Johnson! Sounds very interesting.

Shoot me an e-mail with your boat's description as you'd like it listed, and I'll get it on the Runabout Owner's List and include you in the e-mail group.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not ready to get in the water yet either. Das Boot needs a thourough mechanical checkup, especially fuel filters. And a really good CLEANING!

It sure is funny how much time you have to put in all by yourself preparing a boat, and then how many people show up when it's ready to put in the water. :shock: :!:
Hours......11 with a dremmel tool with different bits to dig out the old caulk.
..............40+ sanding...just finished the window frames
Projected time to finish this project.........Mid July. :lol:
dennis

Trojan Sea Queen

Post by dennis »

I am the proud owner of a 1952 14' Trojan Sea Queen Deluxe. Powered by a restored 1952 Johnson RD15 25hp outboard. Nutmeg is white above and red below the waterline. The mahagany topside is gorgeous.
As you all must know, I cannot begin to estimate the number of hours, the many cold days and hot days spent sanding, cutting, worrying, searching, and cursing spent in restoring this beautiful boat and it's motor.
I live in West Chester, PA.
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Hi Dennis!

It sounds like you have a real beauty there. If I ever go with two-tone bottom side paint, I think I'd go with red. It would be great to see a picture. If you want to be included on the Runabout Owners list, let me know. You can shoot me an e-mail and I'll get you a copy of the list with contacts.

I just got the cover off Das Boot yesterday. With any luck I'll have it started and ready to go in a few days.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
Rich Joupperi

Post by Rich Joupperi »

Hello Everyone,
I was really suprised to see that there is trojan runabout forum. I've been online trying to find more info on my boat and ran into this. I own a 1961
Trojan marlin 17. It wasn't much to look at when I first got it, but it's almost completed now. Originally it had the ford 262, but since has replaced by a ford 351. I've had the boat for about 13 years and havent had it in the water yet. If any of you have any info on her, feel free to drop me a line. It would be appreciated. Thanks Rich
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Rich,

That's the way I found this site. Just did a search on "Trojan Boats."

That Marlin 17, according to some old (1959) literature copies, came in two lengths, the 15 and the 17. Only the 17 had optional inboard power, and was available with outboard as well. It is in Trojan's "Fisherman" class, which also included 19 and 23 foot versions called "Bimini" that had hard tops rather than the convertible top of the two smaller boats.

I think you might have a pretty rare style of boat there--an inboard powered 17' "fishing" boat. Sounds like more of a "cruiser" and runabout. But apparently Trojan saved the inboard "Runabout" category for the 17' and 18' Ski Bee (I have the 17', which floats and goes).

Hope the info helps you place where your model is in the lineup, which I think was pretty similar in '61 as it was in '59. I believe '61 was the final year for small Trojan boats before going exclusively to big fishing boats and yachts--but somebody please correct me if this isn't accurate.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Bump:

Check the Runabout Owners List (Initial Post on this Thread) for new recruits to the age-old sport of boating in age-old boats.
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
61SkiBee
Sporadic User

Post by 61SkiBee »

Just a Bump for muskrat bay and all the folks not yet listing their runabouts. If it wasn't so darn hot, I'd dig out some of my Trojan literature and post scans, but I can't take an 80 degree dewpoint as well as I used to!
Guy Strauss

"Das Boot"
ancient mariner

Post by ancient mariner »

New member here ancient mariner just finishing complete restoration of '57 Sea Queen. Love the boat ,did Trojan issue a owners manual with the purchase of a new boat in '57 ? ifso does anyone know of the existance of one for the '57 Sea Queen ? I would really like a copy if possible.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to the forum

try Bob at beacon marine
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
timothyspring

Re: Runabout Owners List

Post by timothyspring »

Just bought a Marlin 17. It has a bimini logo on the side and it is a fisherman type configuration. Don't have individual board look on the deck! did someone sand it off???? Does anyone have an image of the top? Mine does not have any glass on the side so wanted to know how they handled the side panels?? Have many snaps and have no idea how it is supposed to look? Dumb question, do you just anchor off the stern? Been center console guy for years and can't figure how to belay and anchor from the bow??? Would appreciate any images.
Many thanks,
Tim