Toured the Grady White Plant

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vabeach1234
Moderate User

Toured the Grady White Plant

Post by vabeach1234 »

I had about 2 hours to kill in Greenville, NC yesterday between meetings so I stopped by the Grady White plant and asked for a tour, they happily showed me around. Pretty neat to see boats being built at all different stages. They only had about 120 employees at the time, down from 500 a few years ago, a sign of the times... All in all, was very impressed with the hand laid fiberglassing, materials, process and the little things that make up a Grady. But not enough to trade in the Trojan.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I always wanted to see something like that
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

The town I live in is home to Formula boats and they also have plant tours. They make some huge boats and viewing them in different stages of the process of being built is quite impressive and very educational. They, too, are down to about 1/4 of their pre-recession work force level but at least they are still in business.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

The closest I have ever been to a tour was a small builder in Denton, Md. I had to deliver to Cat marine engines with drive trains to this place. When they opened the door to the building here was this yacht that went from one end of the building to the other. Sure wasn't expecting that! The boat was 67' long and the building is 70' long! Never knew they were there as many times as I have driven past there. Didn't get to see different stages of the build but did get to tour the present build.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

I toured the Huckins yard here in Jacksonville and got to stomp around in a few under construction and a coupla refits too. It was fascinating.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF