Stockton / San Francisco CA...

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Stockton / San Francisco CA...

Post by captainmaniac »

Any "gotta see" or "stay the _bleep_ away from" stuff ? (already planning to check out streetcars, Lombard St, and Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran)

I have a business trip to Stockton coming up and the wife is tagging along... gonna do business stuff for a few days in Stockton (getting educated) then spend the next few in San Fran before flying back.
Captain Blast Off
Sporadic User

Post by Captain Blast Off »

When are you coming and where are you thinking of staying S.F.?

Not sure what you're in to but if you go across the Golden Gate heading North you will come to Muir Woods (or John Muir Woods) in this park is some of the oldest redwood trees in the world and they are bigger then you can imagine (google it). It really is worth seeing and you must do the Alcatraz thing (buy tickets now on the webb; they are usually sold out). Not sure what your budget is but you could stay a night in the Mark Hopkins Hotel (it survived the 1906 quake) a little pricey but it is cool. If you don't stay there go there; they have a bar on the top with a killer view.

Depends on when you're coming I could possibly take you for a cruise on the delta (as long as you don't mind riding on 48 year old wood boat).

Tons to do and see.

Steve
1963 31' Sea Breeze; Twin Interceptors
2000 21' Lightning; Marine Power 454 jet drive

http://s1177.photobucket.com/home/sdelfino5225/index
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Oh crap... I guess I missed this. We just got back from CA on Sunday. When I made the original post I watched it for a few days and there were no replies, so I stopped watching. Looks like you snuck one in after I stopped looking. We WERE there from the 20th until the 27th. Rain, overcast, drizzle, rain, hail, 1 day of sunnyish weather, then more rain... What happened to 'sunny California' ??? Yeah, it was worse at home (10" of snow and constant below freezing temperatures from what I hear), but 45-60F temps and almost nothing but rain in CA ??? Gimme a break!

After my course in Stockton we stayed at the Best Western Tuscan Inn (near Fishermans Wharf) in SF for 3 nights, then at a La Quinta near the airport the night before flying home. Won't stay at that (or maybe any) La Quinta again... if I want to listen to all the traffic, sirens, and my neighbours through the walls and door all night long, and have my room illuminated by exterior lights streaming in through the windows (no matter what drapes I close), I will pitch a tent at the side of the highway next time. Having said that, I guess it wasn't that big of a deal though - we didn't get to the La Quinta until almost 9PM, and had to be up at 4AM the next day to head to the airport. Might have managed 3-4 hours sleep, but only 10 minutes travel in the AM to drop off the rental car.

When in town we toured Fisheman's Wharf, hit the aquarium, had dinner at the Boudin Cafe twice, did a downtown tour and 'cruise' out to the Golden Gate and around Alcatraz (the idea of actually landing on The Rock doesn't really do much for me), walked from the wharf area up to Telegraph Hill and the Coit Tower, and then over (down and up) to the top of Lombard St. Got to the point that we stopped for a rest break at each corner going up the hills.. not as young as I used to be I guess. The joggers running up the hills must be INSANE!

Driving around I was a bit worried about my Toyota Corolla rental -- I had to down shift to 2nd or 1st to get up some of the hills, and had fears about the brakes working well enough to stop me when going down hill!

We also hit Alamo Square (wife had to see the Painted Ladies), Marina district (I had to see boats of course - but no Trojans to be found :( ), drove out to Pacifica to have a glass of wine overlooking the ocean, and up to Sonoma on our last day. Oh yeah - the wife also had to hit Macy's for the shoe sale.... I guess we bypassed Muir Woods, but we just didn't have enough time to really enjoy everything the area had to offer. We may be back at some point, now that we know better what to expect, and what to see (as long as you can make the weather cooperate).

Re "as long as you don't mind riding on a 48 year old wood boat" -- super sorry I missed the chance. My father owned a 1969 Trojan Sea Skiff (28') for about 25 years. Plywood bottom, planked hull, teak decks, single engine ... It was my real introduction to boats and boating. I love the old woodies. At the risk of pissing off others on the forum ... the woodies are the 'real boats', and nothing rides or handles like 'em. Oh well... may be next time!!!
Captain Blast Off
Sporadic User

Post by Captain Blast Off »

Sorry you came out that week and we missed you! I hate to tell you but it's been 80 degrees last couple days. Definately could give you some suggestions of where to stay.

If you do get out here again let us know. Not sure if you saw the deep water port in Stockton but that water way leads to 1,000 miles of delta water way and leads out to the Golden Gate (that's where we hang out).

Again sorry we missed you.

Steve
1963 31' Sea Breeze; Twin Interceptors
2000 21' Lightning; Marine Power 454 jet drive

http://s1177.photobucket.com/home/sdelfino5225/index
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

You have visit again, I travel up to the bay area often for work, I usually stay over in tiburon, but easy access to all you mention, and you get to cross the golden gate, I have walked across it several times and am in awe every time...