Pop-Ups

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

Don't get me wrong . I think they are cute too .But someone first visiting this site for the purpose of buying something might think twice and go on somewhere else. As far as adds go I have no problem with them just think they could be better ones for the site thats all.
larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Post by larglo »

I didn't know that the owners of this site were putting up those Russian ads? :( :x

I thought they were put there by other people and were not controlled by the site owners. Myself,,,I find this very distasteful, indeed.

I have a family (only) forum much like this site is, from Yahoo,,,,,and it don't cost me a dime.

I would think ads for boat products,,,or anything, except ads like these would be better served, by us all.

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

When the site operators sign the deal to carry the advertising I think that's all they are signing up for. Basically some web advertising company is going to pay them to display the banners. Our site operators have little control over what ads show up in those banners (I expect they can specify whether or not XXX content is acceptable, but the lusty russian babes ads - though inappropriate - fall short of that threshold). Basically, they are leasing out screen real estate.

I don't know if dealing with a different banner ad company would provide significantly different content or not.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac , you are correct
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

and some of them are funny like the Trojan remover that was up for about a month. That was funny..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :arrow:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
rossjo
Ultimate User

Re: Pop-Ups

Post by rossjo »

Rich Schwochow wrote:What happened on this site that it is now riddled with pop-ups?
No pop-ups here.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Some of you may remember my wife used to read this forum with me and posted a few times but since they started the Russian girl thing and some of the other non boating junk my wife is not interested in the sight so we don't post as much as we used to. I try to stay involved but it was much more fun with my other half involved since we do our boating together.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I Have asked Dob and Don to read this thread , They may have a contrat on the adds , so they maybe limited on what they can do , But I would like them to be aware of our feeling on this .

We did have some female posters but I noticed that has almost stoped
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Paul, I'm sure you're right about a contract but it would surprise me if they don't have any control over content. If an advertiser is found to be illegitimate, I don't know any contract that would hold up in forcing the party to comply/allow said ad on thier site. I followed a couple of the ads, and did some research on the web. It's amazing what you can find when you make your way through the tangled web they weave to cover thier tracks and look legit. They're banking on viewers not doing thier homework, well, some of us do. Wouldn't want those on a site I was running. Could actually become a liability issue if someone gets burned and follows through with going after every party in the ad's delivery stream.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

I agree with the last post. Some of the adds are legit but others are allmost fraudulent. I wonder if there is a option to aprove the adds before they get on?
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

No Pop-ups here
If you have a pop-up blocker, they don't show up
The only thing I see are the banners occasionally
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
Surf and Sand

Post by Surf and Sand »

captainmaniac is correct. The only thing I will add, is that most of these banners are served to you based on your browsing history.

Now, don't go off saying that you never looked for Russian babes, I'm not saying you did. What I am saying, is that if you visit another site served by AdBrite, they will put a cookie on your PC, and when you visit here, they read that cookie and see if they have an ad that may appeal to you, based on your history. If there are no AdBrite cookies, they will serve up a random ad.

That being said, I would also be open to a subscription to the forum, but without the ads.
Mike
-1975 F30 Clean Machine
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Just block them - not a big deal.

I even turned off the banners by adding them to my hosts file as 127.0.0.1 (myself).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The point though Ross is that we're suppost to "Support Our Sponsors" by clicking on those banners. The issue is that though I would love to do that and I do with some, there's NO WAY I'm clicking on MOST of them. THAT is revenue lost.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

I wote for a subscription to the forum. Member of the Trojan Club? If yes, then you are alloved to join the forum. No problem! 8)
International 10 Meter Express named "Jolla Mi", powered by nothing.....