Remember When?

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Big D
Ultimate User

Remember When?

Post by Big D »

So the other thread got me thinking about how much technology has changed the items we take for granted today. The older folks may be better at this but so much has changed even in the last 20 years that I'm sure anyone can come up with some good examples.

I remember when ice was delivered to our door by horse and buggy to keep our food from spoiling. And this was in downtown Toronto :shock: My age showing now?

The milk man used to leave milk in the little opening in the side of the house, and the baker used to deliver. The barber used to come over and I'd run and hide under the bed :evil:

Mobile phones the size of brief cases. Beta video machines and their video cameras bigger than the commercial stuff used today that were hooked up to the recorder slung over your shoulder like a big purse.

My first computer cost $5,000, did text only, green phosphour monitor, no hard drive, and when I told the sales person I wanted 16K of memory instead of the standard 8K at the time, she looked at me like I had two heads; saying that I'd never ever need that much memory. Boy have prices changed in this technology. The ability to display graphics changed everything. I used to follow it closely and remember when hard drives hit the market at a whopping $10,000 for storing no more data than my current watch.

I remember trying out my cousin's car; there was no power brakes or steering.

Colour TV was only a rumour. Cable? we all hung out at a friend's place every Friday night to watch horror flicks on it.

Just had to have that first LED watch that came out and boy did I pay for it. :shock:

Expectations have changed so much that we actually complain when something takes one minute to warm up in the microwave :roll:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

B&W TV yes , Ice by horse and bugy ? ether your older then me by lots ( and I am old) or Canada was a liltle behind ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Big D you be and old man Sir.... :lol: :lol:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Yup, mid 60s, few fridges where I grew up. I remember teasing the horses so much while the guy was at a house delivering the blocks of ice that they used to take off on him :twisted: Remember the knife sharpening guy and his bell?

Canada behind?! Come on man, have you forgotten that thread where we prominantly displayed the pride of our navy fleet :? At least I got an engineered wooden boat now, those carved out tree trunks weren't very roomy :wink:
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

We had a frige in the 50s .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

prowlersfish wrote:We had a frige in the 50s .
Oh ya?, well we had fresh milk and eggs delivered every morning...so there :wink:
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Oh boy. Here we go!

I live in the sticks, and even though its still the good ol' US of A I bet Manitoba got most things before we did.

My great-grandpa was the guy who went around the Adirondacks with the cart sharpening knives.

My grandpa was the guy who had the butcher shop with the sawdust on the floor and would cut sides of beef to order for you.

My dad sold furniture for my moms family business, and went to collect payments door to door every Friday. To this day he'd much rather hit you on the back of the head with your I-Pad than entertain the suggestion he should learn how to turn it on.

When I was a kid we had color TV at the house. We got 1 station 90% of the time and two stations 50% of the time. Once in awhile we could faintly get a third station, but that usually required getting up on the roof and messing around with the antenna. This usually resulted in screwing up the reception of the other 1 1/2 stations and would require a second trip to the roof to set it right again. In 1988 we got cable, and eventually that grew to 200+ channels. Dad still watches M*A*S*H and Barney Miller every night, so as far as he's concerned nothing has changed.

We closed off the milk door in the pantry when we resided the house a few years back, but you can still get delivery. It just comes to the front door now. I don't remember a time before the dairy had unhomogonized, but dad says he and his brother used to get the wire end of the fly swatter from gramma for drinking the cream off the top of the bottles. I remember gramma, she was nobody to trifle with. They were some brave boys for pulling crap like that!

I have seen people freak out on others for hiking in cotton clothing. I have asked some of these people what the hell they hiked in before synthetics took over. Invariably they say the have always hiked in synthetics. New hobby for them I suppose cuz we hiked in jeans in the 70's & 80's. Fleece was something shepherds had.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Ah the good old days of Rocketship 7, My Favourite Martian, Lost in Space, and the Leafs raising the Stanley cup :lol: Now that's going way way back :P
Commissionpoint
Active User

Big D wrote:Ah the good old days of Rocketship 7, My Favourite Martian, Lost in Space, and the Leafs raising the Stanley cup :lol: Now that's going way way back :P
What, what and what? Are those radio programs?

The Leafs won Lord Stanley's Cup? When? Before electric light must be. GO SABERS!

I saw 'The Miracle On Ice' in Placid in 1980. ;)
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Ya I know, a distant memory for the Leafs to be sure but it did happen once or twice :oops:

Wonder how many here remember Rocketship 7, it was a kid's TV show out of Buffalo.

Lost in Space was an old TV SciFi series recently made into a movie..."danger danger Will Robinson"
Commissionpoint
Active User

haha. I was just teasin' ya. I know what those things are. I was born when Tricky Dicky still lived at 1600 PA Ave.

At least Toronto is doing better than Buffalo this season. I can't believe how much the Sabes suck.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Commissionpoint wrote:...... Before electric light must be..... ;)
Hey there's some trueth to that; we used to own a century home in Toronto that still had natural gas lines feeding wall sconces beside the gas fireplace, and the posts at the top and bottom of the staircases. That was quite the house. Many memories there; Neil Armstrong's first step, the building of the CN Tower just a few blocks away, the fat winged Vulcan at the annual CNE air show from the roof, my first vehicle '77 Chevy Van, Vicky...girl I had a bad crush on, Space Ghost, Jonny Quest, Laugh-In, and Red Skelton. They were good times...fewer worries than I have now that's for sure.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, and Rowan and Martin. Now your talkin'! I loved Goldie and Atre Johnson. Those are some of my very first TV memories. VERY INTERESTING.....

I used to cruise around the country in a 1969 VW camper top bus. That was back when Jerry Garcia was still alive. 8)
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Wish I could find a channel that still played some of those. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of what's around these days, just like looking back once in a while. Really puts a perspective on how far we've come. Wish you could see the look on the little guy's face when I tell him about this stuff...priceless.

How about the first remote TV controls; like five buttons that actually clicked when you pushed them. Speaking of clicking, who still has 8-track tapes? Com'on, fess up!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

...you had a fist fight in the school yard. A few punches, bruised egos then laughing it off and becoming friends. Now you're stabbed or shot and forgotten about.
Ahhh, remember the old days? :roll:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!