Water in forward bilge

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Laker

Water in forward bilge

Post by Laker »

Hello,

I have been getting water in my forward bilge in the area where the shower drain pump is. I have checked and it's not coming from the shower draining into the bilge area. Would anyone have an idea where the water is coming from? Could it be from the through hole where the bilge pumps out the water?

prefer to find issue myself rather then pay.

Thanks in advance for any ideas
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Water in forward bilge

Post by Big D »

You might get more response if you post this in the Trojan Boat Forum instead of Pontifications.
What kind/model of boat are we talking about?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Laker

Post by Laker »

Thanks I will post it there also,

I have a 1986 10 Meter Sedan.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

10cent solution... I own a different model, but there are some pretty standard / obvious sources of water. And Trojan hull shapes tend to be lower in the bow sections so water tends to move forward.

- rain... cockpit hatches and panels are not watertight, so some portion of whatever rain falls in the cockpit tends to find its way to the bilge (washing the cockpit and using a hose also results in the same thing)
- vents.... side vents can let rain water in
- stuffing boxes .. no shaft is 100% dry, so while at rest or running some water does drip in
- A/C ... where does your A/C dump condensate? Overboard (very few do), or in to the bilge?
- leak in fresh water system ... rare, but that water ends up in the bilge

Water in the bilge is NORMAL. It is a boat.... if you have 0 water, something is wrong!

Don't worry about water. Worry about excessive water. If you are at the boat for a weekend and the pump keeps kicking in, worry. If it only kicks in after a rain storm or washing the boat, don't worry about it.