Crusader Closed Cooling System

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BoatBumz

Crusader Closed Cooling System

Post by BoatBumz »

I just acquired a 1974 F-32 with Crusader 454 engines. Having been a sailor for the last 17 years I am new to the bigger power boat scene. I grew up working on small and big block Chevy's so I'm familiar with the standard gas engine. What has me stumped at the moment is the cooling system. The PO stated that the port engine started overheating and started losing coolant. There was a leak on the port side of the engine from the manifold. I was looking at new kits but I can't find one that has the same components as mine. I may have a closed cooling system but not sure. I've attached a picture of the current system. If it is a closed system are the manifolds the same as a raw water cooled system just plumbed differently? Same with the exhaust outlets? Trying to get her ready for a 1000 mile trip to the Keys on her own bottom. I'm still poking around the forum and picking up a lot of good info.
Attachments
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG (207.8 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
1974 F-32 Sedan 454 Crusaders
www.BoatBumz.com
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Crusader Closed Cooling System

Post by WayWeGo »

You definitely have closed cooling -- the big blue tube at the left of your picture is the heat exchanger. All of the boats that I have worked on use the same manifolds for closed cooling, but sometimes with different fittings for the plumbing.

Crusader engines have been quite popular over the years. You should not have much trouble finding parts for them. Try Beacon at http://www.marineengineparts.com/exhaus ... style.html...

You might want to take a look at those three side by side clamps over a piece of split hose. Not sure what is going on there. :roll:
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
BoatBumz

Post by BoatBumz »

Thanks! Yep that hose looks sketchy, as well as some others that have cracks, etc. Thanks for the link, looks like they have what I need.
www.BoatBumz.com
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

F-32 with a pair of big blocks (454) really?
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

I have seen other F-32's with big blocks, but they have been installed by owner. Did F-32's ever come with 454's from the factory?

A friends has a pair of 460 fords in his F-32. cruises nicely!
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
BoatBumz

Post by BoatBumz »

I'm not sure if they ever came with big blocks from the factory. This one was repowered by a PO. I still have a lot to learn about the Trojan line. This one in particular.
www.BoatBumz.com
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

I must have posted the wrong link above -- the correct link for Beacon Marine's Crusader manifolds is https://www.trojanboats.net/zencart/ind ... 9a87402a61 and their prices are better anyway...
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

gitchisum wrote:I have seen other F-32's with big blocks, but they have been installed by owner. Did F-32's ever come with 454's from the factory?

A friends has a pair of 460 fords in his F-32. cruises nicely!

No, they did not come with big blocks. My brother's '77 has them in his 32.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!