Ignition overload

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Merchdoor

Ignition overload

Post by Merchdoor »

1978 Trojan f30 with Chrysler 318. Engine starts up and runs fine for about 5 minutes then overload trips. I replaced the wire from the overload to the main overload on the engine and installed an inline fuse to replace the overload for temporary use and the fuse still blows. Any suggestions?
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Re: Ignition overload

Post by Flyboy »

Just a thought, your starter may not be disengaging.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Any high Loads like a inverter ? . Charging system ok, not over charging ? Has a higher amp alt been installed ? I would see what the amp flow is using a amp meter . A bad battery could cause a high load on the alternator and pop the breaker . And lastly I have seen a weak breaker do it also . What Amp fuse are you using to by pass it ?

Saw flyboys post that's something to look at too
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Merchdoor

Post by Merchdoor »

I installed a 15 amp fuse to replace the 15 amp breaker. At first I unplugged the ignition coil wire and turned the key on without starting the engine and the overload popped. So I replaced the wire. It seemed to work then started to blow again. The battery is new and has a full charge. Haven't changed alternater. One last thing. The Iginition wire runs from the ignition overload to a 40 amp overload on the engine. Could the 40 amp overload be bad? Get working on issues these things and the brain shuts down due to frustration. I did notice the other engine does not have this 40 amp overload. Don't know if it should. If the starter was not disengaging would I be able to hear it?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Merchdoor wrote:I installed a 15 amp fuse to replace the 15 amp breaker. At first I unplugged the ignition coil wire and turned the key on without starting the engine and the overload popped. So I replaced the wire. It seemed to work then started to blow again. The battery is new and has a full charge. Haven't changed alternater. One last thing. The Iginition wire runs from the ignition overload to a 40 amp overload on the engine. Could the 40 amp overload be bad? Get working on issues these things and the brain shuts down due to frustration. I did notice the other engine does not have this 40 amp overload. Don't know if it should. If the starter was not disengaging would I be able to hear it?

I can not find a diagram showing 2 beakers . Only showing 1 and its looks to be the 40 amp . Can you post a photo of them and wiring ? Now let me see if I understand this . you discounted the wire from the 40 amp to the 15 amp breaker and it still blew ? You would think the 40 amp feeds the 15 and it would not blow due to no power. Is there 12 volts at this wire when the breaker is blown ? With the 15 breaker blown is the 40 amp have power on both sides ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Merchdoor

Post by Merchdoor »

The wire comes from the coil to the 40 amp breaker. There breaker has two wires coming off it. One runs directly from the 40 amp breaker to the 15 amp breaker. This feeds the ignition switch. I initially disconnected the wire from the coil to the distributor cap to try and isolate the issue. When I did this the breaker still tripped when I turned the ignition switch on. So I started to focus on the wiring from the 40 amp breaker to the 15 amp. The 15 amp has an actual mounting cut out on the dashboard for it and both engines have this breaker. So I'm sure it's original. Did not check power after the 15 amp breaker blew. I believe there is still power. Once the 15 amp breaker blows all I have to do is push the button and everything comes in and I can start the engine again. And it will run for about 10 minutes and the blow again and shut down. The other engine runs fines and only has the 15 amp in the dash it does not have the 40 amp for some reason.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Ok now I got it .I thought you were saying a 15 amp on the engine . Try disconnecting the wire on the ballast resistor and see what happens with key on . There is a chance the resistor is shorting out or a coil . Also could be a ignition module . A Ballast resistor is cheap and a spare IMO is a must have .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Merchdoor

Post by Merchdoor »

I will do that. Thank you so very much for the help. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how I make out.
Merchdoor

Post by Merchdoor »

Well it took a year but the fix was found by accident. It seems there was a wire near the steering housing. When you turned the wheel a certain there was enough flex on the wheel that it moved just enough to touch the wire and ground out the ignition and shut off the motor. Replaced the wire and everything works fine. That you all for the suggestions and help. Much appreciated.