Photobucket revoked third party hosting (photo linking)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Re: Photobucket revoked third party hosting (photo linking)

Post by The Dog House »

I just got the email. So far my pictures are still in the forum threads, but I'm not sure for how much longer they'll last. No reason for me to use photobucket anymore. Anyone come up with an alternative yet?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

As zedtwentyate said......and confirmed by geeks in my life, "Imgur" is the place to be now
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Barrie wrote:As zedtwentyate said......and confirmed by geeks in my life, "Imgur" is the place to be now

Thanks for validating me Barrie ;)

Hope you photo transition goes smooth!
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

The Dog House wrote:I just got the email. So far my pictures are still in the forum threads, but I'm not sure for how much longer they'll last. No reason for me to use photobucket anymore. Anyone come up with an alternative yet?
You could upload your pictures directly to the forum, but the down side of that is that it will mean our hosts need to pay for that much more disk space, and will cost that much more, and they will need more support from the community (unless you want the Russian ladies looking for 'companions' banner ads back).

Imgur is one option, as others have posted, but every site makes money somehow... Googling 'how does imgur make money' (http://www.businessinsider.com/this-is- ... ney-2014-3), when Imgur says they "will also dive deep into the data to analyze who uses Imgur, and why, where, what, and when these people share images", it's pretty clear there is a personal information / privacy consideration. They are looking at everything you post, who you are, who consumes it, and selling that info to anyone who thinks they could make a buck off of the info. Remember : If you are not the Customer, you are the Product!

RANT!
Google Drive is another option, as are Microsoft One Drive and other similar sites. They may not be any more above board in terms of selling stuff, but people looking for data care more about analysis of emails and finance actions etc from these organizations ... than pictures. But I would rather shame Photobucket into not being so stupid. Every image that has been posted from them could not be lost to the forum. Instead of spending thousands of hours fixing links to newly re-hosted images (which will never happen), I think it is a better use of our time to push them to restore historical services - even if only in a 'grandfathered' way... make sure what was posted before they made this stupid decision still works and all the pictures come back... and people can move to new platforms for future posts if Photobucket will refuse to support '3rd party hosting'.

We have an incredible wealth of knowledge / experience / education that has been posted in pictures on this forum. Photobucket has no right to take that away from us. Kind of feels like Mafia protection money -- "you pay me $500 and you can keep what you have... otherwise it's ours..." Pretty sure there are laws about that.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Interesting thought about Beacon having to pay for hosting photos. I have been storing mine on the forum because that way, they will be there as long as the forum exists.

On another forum that I have been active on, I have been hosting the photos on a personal hosting account that I no longer care about except for those photos. It has been painful paying for that to avoid doing like Photobucket and breaking all the photo links I have made over the last 15 years. Maybe next year I will bite the bullet and move the photos and update all the links (there are hundreds of them!).
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

WayWeGo wrote:Interesting thought about Beacon having to pay for hosting photos. I have been storing mine on the forum because that way, they will be there as long as the forum exists.

On another forum that I have been active on, I have been hosting the photos on a personal hosting account that I no longer care about except for those photos. It has been painful paying for that to avoid doing like Photobucket and breaking all the photo links I have made over the last 15 years. Maybe next year I will bite the bullet and move the photos and update all the links (there are hundreds of them!).
How are you re-sizing your photos; desktop, mobile, or both?
Currently Trojan-less :?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

oil&water wrote:
WayWeGo wrote:Interesting thought about Beacon having to pay for hosting photos. I have been storing mine on the forum because that way, they will be there as long as the forum exists.

I am a caveman when it comes to this stuff . What I do is email the photo to myself the photos and I get the option to make the file smaller . So simple a caveman can do it . :mrgreen:
Last edited by prowlersfish on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

prowlersfish wrote:
oil&water wrote:I am a caveman when it comes to this stuff . What I do is email the photo to myself the photos and I get the option to make the file smaller . So simple a caveman can do it . :mrgreen:
Cheating... but smart. Nice.
Currently Trojan-less :?
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

oil&water wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:
oil&water wrote:I am a caveman when it comes to this stuff . What I do is email the photo to myself the photos and I get the option to make the file smaller . So simple a caveman can do it . :mrgreen:
Cheating... but smart. Nice.
Yup, thats how I do it as well, so looks like there may be more cavemen out there. 8) ....Mike
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

oil&water wrote:How are you re-sizing your photos; desktop, mobile, or both?
MS Office photo editor. I have other programs, but that one is quick and easy.

I have posted a few photos from my Samsung phone and use its built-in photo editing capabilities, but that is only when on the boat and wanting to post before going home.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

oil&water wrote:

If you use imgur, you can resize the "thumbnail" when you post it. They have the option for small, medium, large and huge. Huge and large are the ones that i usually select and they seem to fit appropriately.

You can also use the imgur App on your phone to upload the photos. Once that is done, I go to imgur's website and then manage my library where I can copy the BB code and insert it into a post.

The internet is one big privacy violation, but truthfully, I'm ok with it. If imgur wants to index my photos of inverter installs, engine rebuilds, and relaxing days in the bay, then go for it. Maybe they will even sell my info to a company I care about and then I'll get 2.5% off my next order from boatstuffireallywant.com. :D
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin