Groaning over 7 knots

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AlphaJustin

Groaning over 7 knots

Post by AlphaJustin »

When I run my 72 f25 with direct drive 318 at slow cruise around 6 knots it's perfect no issues but if I crank her up and get her going I get groaning and oscillating drone it was dry docked for 8 years and on land there was no play anywhere and the shaft spun free in neutral and all fluids are perfectly full and clean the boat was repowered and has 170 hours. I'm alright with slow cruising it'll save gas but it's strange and I had to ask. Thanks guys also my phone died so I couldn't get a picture but I'll update my other thread with a picture of the fuel filter soon.
1972 Trojan F-25 with no TRJ number and a 4 barrel
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Groaning over 7 knots

Post by prowlersfish »

Could be alignment or a motor mount transmitting vibration .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

I can check the motor mounts for play and bolt tightness that should be simple enough. As for alignment is there a way to check that or is it just a tweak and try tweak and try thing until it's right?
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

STRONGLY SUGGEST you do a shaft alignment.

remove the coupler bolts and insert feeler gauge - bet there is a video on youtube.

Possibly she was blocked improperly and changed the hull?

8 years is a LONG TIME

HOW LONG has she been in the water now?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

AlphaJustin wrote:I can check the motor mounts for play and bolt tightness that should be simple enough. As for alignment is there a way to check that or is it just a tweak and try tweak and try thing until it's right?
Look at the mounts for collapsing , alignment is done as RWS posted
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

s-l400 (2).jpg
s-l400 (2).jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 6606 times
Well i put her back in the water around noon yesterday floated her for 3 hours then started moving up the river after about 10 minutes under way when things were nice and warmed up that's when I gave throttle and found this out and since I'm a chicken I only tried it once and for less than 10 seconds backed off and no more noise at all so just went 1 hour up the river to the marina at about 6 knots. I'll look for collapsing mounts and find a tutorial on shaft alignment and report back later today I will keep checking this thread though in case there are other ideas. The picture is how she sat for all those years until I got her.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The hull shape changes when the boat is out of the water. It takes 1 - 2 weeks of being in the water for the hull to come back to it's "natural" shape. I would recommend leaving the boat in the water for 2 weeks and then determining the shaft alignment. It may come back into alignment as the hull reverts to it's water shape.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

Giving time to settle before changing things is something I can definitely handle and makes sense. I was wondering if maybe she just hadn't been in the water long enough to reset. I had a small 18 foot that would change every winter and took a day or 2 for the windshield to work again every spring but it never affected the drive line but years verse months is a big difference.
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

Prowler all four mounts look in the same shape as the one in this picture basically look new. Also since I'm posting this picture anyone have valves like these and if so how do you know which way is open? Haha I just hijacked my own thread.
Attachments
rps20170807_160236.jpg
rps20170807_160236.jpg (82.94 KiB) Viewed 6566 times
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

Groco SV Series valve. That one is almost completely open. Best bet is to pull the rubber "plug" out when the boat is out of the water and grease it with a non petroleum based grease. Good valves but parts are non existent. Pretty easy to do.
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

Thank you diverted it's got a lock screw on the backside that I like you can set it open or closed and know it won't change i just couldn't tell which position it was in I just knew I had water flowing out the exhaust so it must have been at least semi open.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

AlphaJustin wrote:Giving time to settle before changing things is something I can definitely handle and makes sense. I was wondering if maybe she just hadn't been in the water long enough to reset. I had a small 18 foot that would change every winter and took a day or 2 for the windshield to work again every spring but it never affected the drive line but years verse months is a big difference.
Most likely the 18 footer was a sterndrive. Hull shape doesn't really affect the alignment of sterndrives like it does an inboard. Hull shape is much more important with an inboard.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26