Drive advice needed - Starboard Velvet Drive failed

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tdogg

Drive advice needed - Starboard Velvet Drive failed

Post by tdogg »

Hi all,

Looking for any advice on the replacement of a Velvet Drive for my starboard engine.

fluid is full, but drive wont go into forward or reverse. mechanic at marina has said it needs to be repaired.

Below is my drive details, they are direct drives. should I have them rebuilt? or buy used ones (if they can be found). any idea of how much it will cost to rebuild it?

My engines are 270 HP Crusaders, can the V-drives be removed without removing the engines? how heavy are they and can they be pulled out through the centre hatch in the mid-cabin?

TRANSMISSION(S): Borg-Warner Velvet Drive
MODEL: 10-17-008
TRANSMISSION SERIAL#:
PORT: 13947 STBD: 140147
DRIVE (DIRECT/V): Direct Drive RATIO: 1.91 : 1
MANUAL/HYDR: Manual
TRANS COOLING: Raw Water
V-DRIVE OIL WARNING LIGHTS: N/A
SHAFT COUPLING(S): Good condition
SHAFT DIA: 1 3/8” SHAFT MAT’L: Stainless steel

Any and call advice much appreciated. if anyone has used drives, please let me know.

Cheers,

Tdogg
Last edited by tdogg on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Trojan F36 Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Drive advice needed - Starboard V-Drive failed

Post by prowlersfish »

Your post is a little confusing . First you do not have V-drives being a 87 . You do have Borg-Warner Velvet Drives . Very easy to rebuild ( at least to me lol ) . But there is a good chance the Drive is ok . I assume the shaft is not moving when put in gear ? It was checked right ? ( shafts break and props have come off ). If all that's ok you may have a bad dampener that connects the engine to the gear losing both directions points that way .

If you do need a gear Check with Bob at Beacon

And you can remove the gear and leave the engine in place
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Thank you for the info.

You are right, velvet drive. Abbreviation doesn't work in this case :-)
The shaft and prop is in place. It doesn't shift into forward or reverse. The shifter moves relatively easily.

How heavy is the unit?

How hard is it to replace the dampener? Once removed how can I tell it's the dampener.

It has slipped before. But would re-engage.
I was on plane when it just lost forward motion with that drive.

Bob at Beacon Bay might have drives or the parts?

- Tdogg
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

FYI I had to pull a true V drive. It was a paragon drive in my f28. It was pretty tuff and total weight was about 300 lbs. My son and I did it to change out flywheel. It was tough but doable.

I have an 84 tri-cabin with 270 crusaders, should have same tranny. They look a lot lighter than the paragons, but having a genny between the two engines limits the room to work in but could be done. Good Luck.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
tdogg

Re: Drive advice needed - Starboard Velvet Drive failed

Post by tdogg »

Any chance the dampener can be replaced with Drive pulled back and not removing it?

If removing it will it have to be hoisted through the sunbathing roof?

Any suggestions on part number needed? That seems like the most likely cause.

Again I appreciate all the advice, want to get it back up an running so I can take my family on our annual Trent Severn waterway trip

- Tony
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Tranny could be pulled back if prop shaft coupler is undone and separated. It will be difficult will need a monkey on one side. If pulled back may be able to see if it is the dampener, but remember you have a bell housing that limits your viewing which I had to remove to9 get the flywheel and dampener off. If need be just have to muscle it out. Not sure of the weight as it is not a vdrive it will be lighter. Once loose I see no reason why two people could not lug it out of the regular cabin door for a rebuild. The tranny has a splined shaft that fits into the damper, similar to a vehicle with a clutch but easier to align and insert when putting it back in. IMO

You will have to raise the rear of the engine and block it up as the rear motor mounts are on the side of the tranny.

Ain't nothing easy but doable. I personally would do it and avoid the dock tech as he will be real spendy. However if you are not very experienced in mechanical things the tech may be a good idea.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

larryeddington wrote:Tranny could be pulled back if prop shaft coupler is undone and separated. It will be difficult will need a monkey on one side. If pulled back may be able to see if it is the dampener, but remember you have a bell housing that limits your viewing which I had to remove to9 get the flywheel and dampener off. If need be just have to muscle it out. Not sure of the weight as it is not a vdrive it will be lighter. Once loose I see no reason why two people could not lug it out of the regular cabin door for a rebuild. The tranny has a splined shaft that fits into the damper, similar to a vehicle with a clutch but easier to align and insert when putting it back in. IMO

You will have to raise the rear of the engine and block it up as the rear motor mounts are on the side of the tranny.

Ain't nothing easy but doable. I personally would do it and avoid the dock tech as he will be real spendy. However if you are not very experienced in mechanical things the tech may be a good idea.
Thank you! That's what I thought, didn't realize the engine mount is on the tranny side.

I've done my fair share of mechanical. They came back saying 20 hours to pull and reinstall... Based on another boat. So I've asked them to give me a proper one based on my boat...20 hrs seems a bit on the crazy side

I'm thinking I'll get the dampener replacement (if anyone has a recommendation of where to get it please let me know)

When I undo the propeller shaft from the tranny can I pull it back with it in the water? Obviously I have to secure it from slipping down fully.

Any and all pointers are so very helpful.

Cheers,

Tdogg
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Do you have a manual for your transmissions? If not goggle it. Before you start removing the transmission, Check the trouble shooting guide for this issue
Contact the factory and talk to them about the problem
Have you verified the shift cable and cam on the transmission is actually engaging the transmission and not slipping on the post?
Pressure gauge on the cooler line?
Transmission will come out but velvet drives (71-72's) are pretty heavy and you'll have to push the prop shafts back far enough to to remove the spline shaft from the damperplate. When you go to push the prop shaft back, don't forget the rudders are directly behind the props and you may have zincs just before he cutlass bearings , both will stop the shaft from moving to far aft or prevent you from going far enough to pull the transmission
If you replace the transmission, don't forget to realign the engine and shaft
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

gettaway wrote:Do you have a manual for your transmissions? If not goggle it. Before you start removing the transmission, Check the trouble shooting guide for this issue
Contact the factory and talk to them about the problem
Have you verified the shift cable and cam on the transmission is actually engaging the transmission and not slipping on the post?
Pressure gauge on the cooler line?
Transmission will come out but velvet drives (71-72's) are pretty heavy and you'll have to push the prop shafts back far enough to to remove the spline shaft from the damperplate. When you go to push the prop shaft back, don't forget the rudders are directly behind the props and you may have zincs just before he cutlass bearings , both will stop the shaft from moving to far aft or prevent you from going far enough to pull the transmission
If you replace the transmission, don't forget to realign the engine and shaft
Thank you. Good advice. Just to clarify, What would the pressure on the coolant line do with regards to forward and reverse motion?

Where you say slipping on the post, are you thinking the cable came loose? I manually moved the post and nothing happens. It seems too easy to move, not much resistance at all.
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Got some feedback from my marina, thoughts welcome:

They are saying that it's not likely the dampener as there is no noise from broken parts inside. Is that true?

What is a reasonable price to refurbish a drive? They are quoting me $2500 CDN + removal and install which I think they are going to estimate close to 15 hours...which I think it a bit crazy...

- Tdogg
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

Velvet drives already rebuilt on eBay go for about 600-1800 we all know how far you can trust ebay but 2500 is insane.
1972 Trojan F-25 with no TRJ number and a 4 barrel
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Give us a call
Bob
Beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

I pulled mine out (3 hrs). Rebuilt it for around $300.00 with parts kit off EBay. But you need to be somewhat handy. Engine needs to be supported and re-alignment is critical after re-install. Weighs about 125 150 lbs I'd guess. I have a post on it here somewhere
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

What ever was the out come of this. Was the transmission busted?
Just asking because I have a couple extra I will have no need of... free.... you pick up. Velvet drive 1.91:1
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
mrjake56

Post by mrjake56 »

tdogg,

If look n the owner's manual string, another member was kind enough to provide a link o he on-line storage site where his manuals at available for viewing or download. The Velvet Drive manual lists your drive at 95 lb w/o reduction, and 145 lb with reduction (Additional section on the output end of the drive.

The manual is very comprehensive and provides detailed instructions, specs, and part numbers.

Mrjake