1983 f-32 AC placement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Macdiver

1983 f-32 AC placement

Post by Macdiver »

Where and how is the AC located in the F-32? How about a generator?
Gene
1983 F-32
MACDIVER
Stonington, CT & Westerly, RI
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: 1983 f-32 AC placement

Post by mikeandanne »

On our 78 the generator ( 6.5 kohler flat head four ) was length wise between the engines against the aft bulkhead and the ac was just on the other side of the same bulkhead aft mounted to the cover over the fresh water tank.There were two slaves ,one in the v berth and the other in the salon on the starboard side just behind the distribution panel.I believe that to be factory or darn close to it.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Ditto on my '79 for generator placement. As far as AC goes I don't know if it was factory, dealer, or installed by someone else for a previous owner, but the unit was installed under the forward dinette seat and venting for it consumes a bunch of the starboard handing locker. Does a good job of cooling the lower cabin but doesn't do as much for the salon as I would like, and with all the glass on a sedan it's like a greenhouse.
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

We installed a 16K Mermaid in our F32. We put it directly under the lower helm. The water heater was moved outboard and there was plenty of room for the A/C. Had to custom fabricate a plenum for the supply ducts. Put the main supply vent in the deck right above the unit and ran 2 4" supply ducts, 1 to the dinette and 1 aft in the saloon on the starboard side. This cooled the saloon very well and since cold air drops the galley, dinette and vee berths get cooled as well.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

captainmaniac wrote: doesn't do as much for the salon as I would like, and with all the glass on a sedan it's like a greenhouse.
You can reduce your cooling load with window "tinting". You don't have to actually get a color, they have clear films that block UV, which is the main cause of radiant heating.

I'll provide a link when I'm at an actual computer.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

We had a bra for the windshield on the F32. The windshield is very large. I ordered 80" Sunbrella in order to make it from one piece.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

P-Dogg wrote:
captainmaniac wrote: doesn't do as much for the salon as I would like, and with all the glass on a sedan it's like a greenhouse.
You can reduce your cooling load with window "tinting". You don't have to actually get a color, they have clear films that block UV, which is the main cause of radiant heating.

I'll provide a link when I'm at an actual computer.
My windows are already tinted....
comodave wrote:We had a bra for the windshield on the F32.
.... and we have windshield cover that does the front 3 panes plus most of the first pane on each side....

And on the bad days we will keep drapes closed or mostly closed on the side and salon windows...

Some day I may re-plumb the A/C to move a vent up top, but don't really want to run ducting through the engine compartment (in case it somehow picks up fumes and blows in to the cabin), or near electrical panel (possible condensation issues)... Haven't found a route I m comfortable with yet.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

captainmaniac wrote:My windows are already tinted...
Older window tints do not block all that much heat, but the newer ones do a better job. We have fairly dark tint on our windows, but the cabin still gets pretty hot, so I have been looking into the newer window films. There is some pretty good info at http://www.motortrend.com/news/3ms-wind ... int-77391/
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

We just redid our Salon and slider with the 3M metal crystal based tint and the "touch temperature" of the inside of the window is about 5 degrees cooler than the previous regular dark tint. Wish they made a tint for the poly on our rounded corner windows...
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury