new engine instruments

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Peter
Moderate User

new engine instruments

Post by Peter »

One of the many projects I have been stewing about is replacement of my fly bridge engine instruments. Has anybody done this, and if so what have they used? Thanks.
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

In my last Trojan I built the bridge and installed the gauges in it. I had to install sending units in the engines and run the wires to the bridge. You, of course won't have to do all that. You will have to make sure that the gauges you get match the sending units in the engines. (Oil Pressure & Water Temperature) Sending units can be for single or duel station helms. They are not the same. If your new gauges are not compatible with your present sending units, you will not only have to install new sending units for the new gauges, you will also have to replace the old sending units as well. The replaced old sending units would have to be compatible the gauges in the lower station. (Single station replacing the duel station units that are in the engines now)

Find the manufacturer printed on the gauges. Get the spec sheet for the sending units and make sure they match the specs of the new gauges. If memory serves me correctly, my Trojan has Teleflex gauges in it. If new and old gauges are from the same manufacture they should match. Should is the key word, you still need to check.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I'm started the process of replacing the guages on the bridge console as well. On our F36, they are set to the far right, in front of the 1st mate's seat. It makes it hard to watch them.

I installed a new "dash" out of 5/8" brazillian cherry that I encaspsilated in clear epoxy / varnish. I've installed 1 Lowrance LMS-520 and plan to buy a 2nd unit over the winter. I'll use one display for the port engine and GPS and the other for the starboard engine and depth/graph.

Last summer, I installed fuel flow guages on both engines that report to the LMS unit. Over the winter, I plan to install analog sending unit to NMEA-2000 conververter so I can pick up two temp inputs, oil pressure, and tach.

The best thing about this solution is that it only take 1 cable from the engine room to the flybridge. When I finish the proejct, I'll only have the steering cables, two DC cables, transducer, radio, and the NMEA-2000 cable that will carry all of the rest of the signals.

FYI, the current guage cluster area is going to make a fine food/drink tray!

Mitch
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I use VDO guages. They are about as good as you can get. eGauges.com has a good selection of gauges and sending units at reasonable prices.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I had to replace gauges on my 1979 F32 a few years back. Tried to find original Detmar gauges, but was unable to locate a supplier.

Ended up with Teleflex Red International series. They looked "similar" to the old ones, and were compatible with the existing sending units (Chrysler 360 engines). But of course instead of just replacing the single gauges that needed replaced, I did 'em all so they would all match!

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/p ... 058&page=1

I might be able to fish out the part numbers I used as well, but that was about 5-7 years ago I think. Let me know if you need 'em.
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

Wow...thanks for the replies/ideas.I have a shaded plexiglass shield over the instrument array.Makes it hard to see the ancient..I mean original instruments.Was going to replace with clear plexiglass but when I took the shade off...the flaws in the panel and instruments were much easier to see.I like wood panel idea...I have some cherry left over in my garage that I used to build a folding table for the salon.might also like to use teak in the same fashion...
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

My boat is equipped with engine warning alarms. I added warning lights to the alarm system. I installed 2 warning lights at both stations, one for each engine. The instillation is simple. I used a LED lamp assembly from Radio Shack. (276-270) The assembly mounts in a 9/32 hole and is powered by 12v. The wires from the lamp assembly are connected to the terminals of the warning alarm buzzer. The red wire is connected to the + side, black to the - side of the buzzer. If you don’t know which is which, it doesn’t matter. Hook it up. Turn the ignition key, but don’t start the engine. The engine alarm will buzz. If the wire are on the correct terminals the light will be on, if not reverse the wires.

With warning lights you will instantly know which alarm is buzzing. It just makes things a bit easier.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

The idea of audible and visual alerts that something might be a miss is what got me interested in the NMEA-2000 compatible digital instruments. Directly on my GPS / Depth screens, I can guages displayed with a variety of min and max alarms.

Sometimes it too easy to get distracted with the scenery, guests on board, navigating around barges on the river. The alarms could save me thousands some day and I'm tired of the wiring and aging analog guages.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

The NMEA-2000 is intriguing. Unfortunately money is an issue. One of these days, probably next winter I want to install a radar arch [recent radar arch string helpful], and radar. Up to this point I have really only looked at the smaller "stand alone" set ups [ such as described in the latest issue of "Boating"]. Perhaps a NMEA-2000 type of system is a way of killing two birds with one pile of cash. Installation of all components, and troubleshooting however sounds like a nightmare for a do-it-yourself or with poor electrical skills.

One of my dock mates had our marina types put in system this last spring, with all the bells and whistles, [Carver 38], and spent most of the summer trying to get it to work right. I think he is still having trouble with the fuel flow meters. [His radar system is awesome, as well as his ability to watch DVDs on the bridge while drinking beer ---- yes I know that's a bad idea]. Certainly food for thought.
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I found the installation very easy. The "network" is just single cable with "T"s and extentions. The connectors all twist lock. If you can plug in a mouse to your PC and twist, I think just about anyone can install it. Only one place on the network, you have to connect it to +12 and ground.

I found setting up the fuel meters pretty easy. The only trouble I had was that I did not read that they needed to be mounted as vertical as possible. I was getting errant readings. Someone on the forum here helped me with a little guidance.

I work in the compter industry, so maybe this stuff just comes easy.

Previous owners have made a real mess of the wiring to the bridge. Its been cut and spliced 3 times for transport. Going from a 4" bundle to a single cable and 2 power pairs seemed like a bargain. I can hardly wait to get the rest of the system installed and pull out all the old wiring.....
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I know a lot of time has gone by, but just came across the part numbers of the gauges I used, and thought I would post just incase it is still of value to someone ... (Toronto International Boat Show is tomorrow, so I am digging through my folder of 'things to do' and 'cool ideas' and making up my shopping list tonight!)

Again, I used Teleflex Red International series, and gave URL in earlier post that will let you bring up the related product sheets in PDF format.
Tach: 13291
Oil Press: 53214
Temp: 53215
Volt: 53212
Fuel: 53213
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

What motors do you have? And, do we need anything else to go with the gauges to make them work right? I have Ford 351 mercruisers, original.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I have the original Chrysler 360 cu in engines (260hp) in my 1979 model. Needed nothing else other than some minor wiring updates (ie think I had to change the connectors on some of the old wires from spade and ring connectors or the other way around). Gauge sizes were also correct to just plop in the old holes.

Don't know if the gauges are compatible with your Ford blocks... it really comes down to matching up the sending unit with the gauge ('receiving unit'). I have zipped off emails to Teleflex a couple of times re product compatibility questions and normally get an answer back in a day or two... you might want to give it a try. Good luck !
Coralkong
Sporadic User

Post by Coralkong »

I redid my dash with a solid piece of old-growth Zebrawood.

Had my local cabinetry shop make it up for me. Yes, it looks great. Yes, it wasn't cheap.

I also bought new Teleflex gauges, so they all would match. Bought them for dirt cheap on Ebay, believe it or not. I believe they were the "Sahara" series, but don't quote me on that one.....
Doing all the wiring is the hard part, but in the end, it will look great. Plus, you will KNOW how it's wired.
I did my gauges in a transplant operation (in place) one gauge at a time. There sure a lot of wires under there!

It's not an easy project, but if you have the gumption, it can turn out great.