Shore power public service announcement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Shore power public service announcement

Post by P-Dogg »

Short story is that I burned-up a shore power receptacle. When i went to remove it, the screws clamping the wires in place on the back of the receptacle were loose.

When I decide what to use post-photobucket, I'll post pics., Including new smartplug install.

I encourage everyone to check the tightness of their connections. While you're at it, you could hack away some of the balsa core, if so equipped, and seal the hull perforation so water can't get to core. Mine was dry, but I looked at a lot of boats that showed water ingress through the shore power on the inside of the boat.

Breaker never blew. Wires were quite happy to provide the current needed to melt copper wires into a blob. My boat almost lived up to its name.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Shore power public service announcement

Post by WayWeGo »

Yes, that is the unfortunate problem with poor or corroded connections -- they don't trip a breaker. They do however, create lots of heat and cause fires.

Sure am glad you caught this one in time!

A good article on the subject: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o5axe1vsm99a ... n.pdf?dl=0
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Shore power public service announcement

Post by P-Dogg »

My $martplug$ arrive on Tuesday......
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!