Considering Another with Detroit Diesels

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Misty
Sporadic User

Considering Another with Detroit Diesels

Post by Misty »

Hi Guys,

Been quiet for awhile. Busy at work. My trifly continues to thrill, but an opportunity has come along to purchase with Detroit Diesels (671s I believe 315 hp turbo) that have over 2000hr but have been sitting for a couple years?

Run? Hide? What are some considerations on start up and eval? Other than the obvious, fresh fuel, new filters, etc?

I will get a diesel guy but want to hear from my people here first!
Last edited by Misty on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Considering Another with Detroit Diesels

Post by prowlersfish »

The 671 at 315 HP or around there last a long time , 2000 hours is not a issue . If they were 450-485 HP that would be a different story . Defiantly get a Detroit guy to look at them . And to be there at start up . If he knows DD he will likely have the valve cover off before starting to make sure the rack is not sticking as it been sitting up . The 671 is a great engine . But they are noisey and are known to leak oil . They are very reliable . But Like most diesels when things break they can get pricey . Maintenance will be more too . About 5 gallons of oil per engine , impellers 100 or so . and so on .

Big question why has it been sitting up ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

I know!

I always think the angles. But we will see I have a marine DD guy ($$$$$) then a super old timer RV guy who can look at it. I would almost pay more to have the old timer. We shall see.

Darn good advice. Thanks! Others feel free to add but From ur prev posts that's good enough a prod to keep scrutinizing this vessel.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

once you've gone diesel, you'll agree

straight inboard diesel or outboard

the many marine diesel advantages makes them WORTHY of the extra effort.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Misty wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:13 pm I know!

I always think the angles. But we will see I have a marine DD guy ($$$$$) then a super old timer RV guy who can look at it. I would almost pay more to have the old timer. We shall see.

Darn good advice. Thanks! Others feel free to add but From ur prev posts that's good enough a prod to keep scrutinizing this vessel.
Its worth looking at for sure . Getting the engines looked at maybe cost you but its better to know . While there are some more costly repairs and Maintenance Its not really a big deal in the long run . More of a heads up then trying to scare you . I have known many that have gone from gas to diesel not one has regretted it .

RWS wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:12 am once you've gone diesel, you'll agree

straight inboard diesel or outboard

the many marine diesel advantages makes them WORTHY of the extra effort.

RWS
You could have left the outboard part out :mrgreen:

There is a feeling of confidence with a diesel that's hard to describe , something you won't understand until you own one . Honestly it open new worlds to me . No fear of long runs . In 14 years and 1400 hours I have come back one 1 engine 3 times once due to a fuel pick up in the tank . I did lose a turbo 1 time . And yes I did blow one engine due to a overheat . I had lost a freeze plug that caused a complete coolant loss . A design flaw of the early HO Cummins B That they upgraded later on . Something I should had done And did not . ( I have done the other ) . This is nothing to worry about with the 671 . The 671 (below 400 hp ) is one of the most reliable engines ever made that keep on going and going . Many a work boat around here with 10s of thousands of hours on them . Not putting down the 450 to 485 hp one the still are very reliable but you won't see them get in the 10k hours .

As I keep rambling on the bottom line is this my next boat will be a diesel . Hopefully a Single engine as I find them that reliable .

Bottom line and a warning !! ONCE YOU GO DIESEL YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK .

OK I will shut up ( for now )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Turns out it had been sitting for ten years. Fuel pumps rusted through, bright orange bilge sludge. Only posting because I hate it when posters keep us hanging!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Run ! Fuel pumps rusted thru ? Not a good sign Been sunk or full of water would be my guess
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels