Boat Weight & Performance Curves

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RWS
Ultimate User

Boat Weight & Performance Curves

Post by RWS »

Something to consider:

The published dry boat weight for a 10 meter is 12,000 lbs.

That's the number I used when we calculated the first set of props for the new diesel engines in 2005

Those diesels are a bit lighter than the 454 Crusaders they replaced

Filled the boat with 242 gallons of fuel, 17 gallons of genny tank fuel and 40 gallons of water for her first test run with those diesels, and loaded her back with all the tools, spares, dishes, etc.

Put her on the travelift - SURPRISE - SHE WEIGHS IN AT nearly 18,000 lbs !!!!!

It is my own guess that the published dry weight is for the base boat, with zero options.

Once you add in the generator, additional sound insulation, wetbar, the L bench seat, the aft bench seat, windlass, microwave, anchor, anchor chain, tools, spares, icemaker, refrigerator, has grill, full fridges of drinks, sodas, beer, and other assorted stuff you get to that actual travellift weight.

My point here is that the performance claims are likely made for naked boats, with little or no options low fuel and probably one operator on board.

In this case even after adding in a full tank of fuel and water, the additional weight is well over 20% of the original published number.

Bottom line - one cannot expect to attain factory performance numbers with a heavily optioned boat.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Boat Weight & Performance Curves

Post by prowlersfish »

That something I have always said . Great post !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RonW

Re: Boat Weight & Performance Curves

Post by RonW »

When I bought my 454 powered 1975 44 FBMY as the second owner, it came with the original Owner's Manual.... a typed 3 ring binder.
In it, it claimed 27 mph top speed. I laughed because we cruise at 12 mph and I never pushed it. This is a fully loaded boat with every factory option along with the previous owner's Admiral's wishes including a dishwasher, garbage compactor and central vac.
But this year, I "fixed" the trim tabs (by blocking them down) and on my way back from fully fuelling, I got it up to 22 mph. I was amazed. That was about 7 mph more than I expected.
Nice to know I've got it if I need it, but I would need a fuel tanker to follow me to make it anywhere.

Ron